Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Health & Nutrition

Old 06-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Chickadee

D3 are you taking?; liquid or pill? vegan source

Chiro said all should be taking D3 and he loves th liquid form he sells. I don't remember the company but may get literature from him; however, I understand cod liver or lanolin source.

Any information you can share share pls? Using it? Liquid? How much?

Thanks.
carolg
Old 06-10-2009, 07:10 PM
luckitri

My allopath prescribed Rx Vitamin D. It was not 3. Then I got cheap OTC Vitamin D and it seemed like my body converted it just fine. It resolved some severe pain issues for me - I was so amazed.

I would be interested in your information - links?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Hatchling

I use this stuff called Pure Vegan Vitamin D2 Spray. I've only found it on the Internet, but I like it. It's a little bitter, but the taste goes away quickly. The spray is good because it's really not a hassle to take. I'm weird about taking vitamins -- I don't mind chewable or the spray, but I love to conveniently "forget" about taking pills.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Hatchling

I'm taking Carson drops (2,000 IU in each drop). I will be taking 10,000 IU a day throughout the cold season and then go down to 4,000 IU during the spring and Fall. Not sure if I will be taking any during summer (will depend on my sun exposure).

Last edited by yulia : 12-08-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Chickadee

I take a variety of diff't D-s but none are vegan sourced. I would like to recommend to get tested though. I was tested last year - the 25 OH test, I believe it's called - supposedy the most accurate ---anyway, my D was way low ---18!!! And I am not a vegan and would even take a little CLO occasionally, but not regularly.

So I regularly took some. Many people told me they were taking 4000 or 6000 units a day and their levels still didn't go up, but I took way less --don't remember, but maybe 2000 - 4000 units. I got kidney stones within a few months due to too much Vit D. Drank a lot of lemon juice and it went away, then tested again and my D level was 118--way high...

Moral of the story, IMO is to not guess, but get tested.

Someone on another site said they researched D3 and found that even the cheap ones are absorbed nicely ---prob doesn't help if you want to remain vegan though. Sorry, I don't know about the best vegan sourced ones.

HTH,

Mary Kay
Old 12-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Hatchling

Mary Kay, Ca is usually responsable for kidney stones. Especially if people are taking Ca supplements and are low in Mg (Ca does not get absorbed very well without Mg causing problems, kidney stones among them). I personally think that optimal vit D level is 60-90 (or even 100) even though it is considered "high" by medical profession (but not by many holistic MDs who have done an extensive research into the subject).
Old 12-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Chickadee

Yulia,

Thanks for the reply. Calcium +magnesium imbalances can generally be responsible UNLESS you are OD'ing on Vit D. I've read that kidney stones are rare in children UNLESS they OD on Vit D, for example.

I've never had any kidney stones, until a couple mos after tremendously upping my Vit D.

and actually the stones were undiagnosed, but I had a dull pain in my right kidney area for over a month that finally subsided after I really dosed up on lemon and ACV.

And funny thing, I never told my doc about the kidney stones when I saw her months later. After she saw my lab Vit D level at 118, she said "You'd better stop taking all that Vit D or you may get kidney stones." !!!!!

Mary Kay
Old 12-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Hatchling

I see. Thanks so much for explaining it. If this is indeed the case that vit D may contritube to kidney stones, it is definitely something to be aware of. I will talk to my teachers about it (in the upcomming program I'm about to take) and will share with you, if I learn anything new or interesting on the matter.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Chickadee

Thanks, where are you studying?

Mary Kay
Old 12-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Hatchling

I am starting an advance medical herbalism & clinical nutrition program at North American Institute of Medical Herbalism (Paul Bergner's school).
Old 12-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Chickadee

Mary,

Thanks for the post about OD on Vit D. I didn't really know that was possible. I haven't gotten tested, but I've been taking D3 since this fall. Since I live in MN, I figured I must be deficient.

My D3 says it's vegan, btw, but it's kinda questionable-vegan. It's the Vitamin Code D3 supplement. Their website said they fed lanolin D3 to a yeast, which absorbed/ate it.

Eric

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Health & Nutrition