Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > What's Happening on the Raw Scene?

What's Happening on the Raw Scene? Find out about upcoming potlucks and events in your area, as well as individual or group projects.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Meadowlark

Raw mom Summit - Summaries and Discussion

Hey everyone,

I thought we'd talk about the Raw Mom Summit, post summaries of the interviews, and discuss what is being said!

http://www.rawmomsummit.com/FreePlayDay.php

I'll post a summary of Victoria Boutenko's summary today.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Meadowlark

I didn't get to listen to Paul Nison's wife, did anyone listen to her?
Old 06-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Swallow

I didn't either. I am listening to Shazzie right now. I listened to Victoria Boutenko and the teaser interview with the interviewer, Shannon Leone. I am so impressed so far! Not sure how I am going to fit it all in, but so far there have only been 2 or so per day that I really want to hear which is much more doable.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Meadowlark

Shazzie Part 1:
Shazzie
Having a child changes your life, as making the child happy is the most important thing to you now. Inspired by Continuum Concept book. Looked at how primates rate their children, child does not suffer from separation anxiety there as goes from family to group. Read that children who are left to cry do not develop normally (brain wise). Add to this breast feeding, co-sleeping etc. Ultimately, do what works for you. Her and Evie made food together etc. What we lack in our society is the safety of a community, since we are isolated etc. Women need community support during pregnancy and after delivery, it is important to the child. Eating raw food is really good to have enough energy to keep up with the child's demands, drink green juices etc...

Evie's kitchen: Nutritional info, recipes, natural parenting etc. All about raw food and nutrition requirements. She had not seen unsupplemented raw vegan children that are healthy, the healthy ones are vegetarian. She didn't want to put what she wasn't sure of on a child and risk health problems etc. She wants every raw child to be very healthy, and realized some supplementation is necessary. Is aware of the controversy. Vegan diet is very new relatively, vegans are pretty much pioneers. She had read a lot on B12 deficiency (see Dr Cousens article), seen dental and height problems in vegan children etc. and wanted Evie to be healthy. Was OK with feeding Evie vegetarian live food. Has given her ortho bone vegan for bone health + breastfeeding (supplement since 16 months old). Then, A, D and K2 are necessary, and she gets all A from food. D is necessary as there isn't much sunlight in England. Supplemented while breastfeeding. Then, K2 -> no one talks about it, but it has to be converted from K1 (leafy greens) and we don't get enough as vegans. Needed to transport certain vitamins.
Finds sad that people seeking information get attacked on forums as if being vegan and right > having healthy children. When she turned vegan, there were no free range, well treated animals etc. but now it's different and we have more choice, and she doesn't believe being vegan is natural for humans. She does believe raw is natural however, and you can stay raw without necessarily being vegan. Not compassionate to allow child to suffer. Shannon said her child wasn't as healthy as should be, and David Wolfe suggested raw goat or dairy milk since in Canada there isn't much sun, and the child became very healthy. Shazzie says that drinking animal milk isn't natural, but sometimes if we can't get the nutrients then drinking milk is OK.

Since Evie turned 4, said didn't want to be raw anymore. Now she's about 70% raw. Shazzie gives her healthy cooked food, like gluten free pasta with organic tomato sauce, but with DHA, udo's oil, hemp seeds, lots of blue manna etc. She eats poached free range organic eggs, or tortilla wraps with all raw stuff but slightly toasted to be warm (with hemp, peppers, corn, blue manna etc.). Evie doesn't want raw drinks anymore, flax crackers, green juices which she refuses etc. even though she grew up on them. She still likes raw coconut water. Could be linked to her neighbor not wanting to eat Evie's food. In grand scheme of things, Shazzie feels she still eats well and doesn't want her to feel ostracized. Raw isn't a religion.

Feels that extended breastfeeding is normal. Child decides when is ready to wean. Full term: we gave all we could, they took all they could. Evie stopped at age 4, but there is no time limit. Child loses sucking reflex. Kate Magic once breastfed Evie and found her a lot more gentle than her boys. Evie isn't sure she'll have more children due to her age, and she doesn't want to be a single mom again. 45 would be her cut off with having children, and even then would be a bit late. Thinks it's good to have children early.

Regarding the color green, it's very healing, patients with a room facing a forest heal better than those facing a wall, most of our food should come from greens.
She thinks (cited Anastasia) that our children our different and there is a shift going on, and the world is going to change and be better. She believes that living in nature makes us feel more healthy, alive etc. She can't imagine a raw vegan living long term in a crowded city away from nature. In her community, the house is made of cedar and she drinks untreated, UV treated spring water. Some talk about Anastasia, whom I do not know.
She has been homeschooling. Evie. She might go to a farm school near the house now.
Children should be encouraged, we should be in tuned with what they do, but not be condescending. Too much praise is bad, as they start looking for us for approval instead of being independent, but she admits it's hard to refrain from praising. We need to learn to let go at some point.

OK... need to go be with my hubby now This took quite a bit of work, so I'll only post Victoria's one if people ask, as I took pen and paper notes, not computer notes.

Last edited by Velvet : 06-23-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Meadowlark

Thank you Velvet! I hope I'll have the time to listen to some of the interviews.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:51 PM
luckitri

I find this very interesting Velvet - so thanks for sharing! I had the option to attend that conference but not able to.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:03 AM
Meadowlark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva View Post
Thank you Velvet! I hope I'll have the time to listen to some of the interviews.
They're really long! I think Shazzie's took nearly 2 hours. I am a bit bummed I missed Nison's interview, she was talking about elimination communication I think.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:11 AM
Meadowlark

OK - Joanna - Seriously, it was really long. I would like to listen to all of them. And I JUST YESTERDAY found out that my long-term biggest client for contractor work will be ending June 30. The company made some bad choices and is possibly about to go under. A little crazy. So now is not the time to pay $97 to get the ones I missed. Just throwing this out there -- if anyone wants to pool together and split the cost to share? Because it seems to be such good info!

Anyways, I have a ton of work to do to tie up loose ends but am going to try really, really hard to listen to them...
Old 06-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Swallow

I didn't hear the EC one either, but I did do EC to some extent with my son.

Shannon has posted the interview with her about the Raw Summit. Great teasers in there and you don't need to sign up to hear it. But you'll want to after!

http://www.rawmomsummit.com/
Old 06-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Meadowlark

I'd pitch in to share the cost, if we could get like 10 people to do it, it wouldn't be much.
Or, we can divide each interview, and each person does a summary?

I'm off to listen to a new one, but I can't do more than 2 a day =/

This is fun though!
Old 06-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Meadowlark

Brian Clement PhD – On men, moms, and self esteem of children

He is the director of the Hippocrates institute and Shannon's husband went there and came back as a raw vegan.

Why do we have a prob with men being raw/vegan? Men are taught that they need meat, men that lack self esteem go back to meat to feel better. Raw/vegan is a social abnormality. Men are also trained consumer. Dairy was given for free, and there was big marketing to eat dairy. Image of a man is muscular and not too bright. Women are liberated, unlike men. They can express their feelings. It's threatening men when we ask them to be raw vegan, as if we are emasculating them.
But we have emergence of 2 things: what we were trained to believe is crumbling around us, we realize we can't trust government/corporations etc. People are started to trust themselves. Also, women are now spiritual leaders in a relationship.

What is the optimum raw food diet? There are so many contradictions. What about children? Brian Clement thinks that now people are more confused when they get to Hippocrates than before. Just completed new raw leadership summit, and all agree -> need to differentiate what is trendy with what works: Minimal amounts of fruit (supported by blood analysis) and raw organic ripe fruit should be the norm. Ripe is hard to do, but it is important. Fruit should be 15% of diet at most. Also, greens are terrific, and sprouts are cheapest and freshest and can be made anywhere and are organic. Apparently, a lettuce loses a third of its nutrients in the first hour after picking. Should eat local whenever it's possible as shipping causes problems.

Children can eat more fruits. Adults can't because we have destroyed our pancreas due to all the refined sugar we ate. Shannon added that children have faster metabolism so they handle fruit better.

Biggest mistake when parents transition kids to raw diet: they go too fast. For example, after meat burgers, go to veggie burgers first. With green juices, add fruit juice, then reduce amount.

It's not all diet, other things should be kept in mind. The emotional state of people is more important than anything. Write down things you love about yourself every night with your child. It reminds them that positive things happened that day. Every night write 7 things that you like about yourself (each child does that too).

He said a long time ago: I'd travel the world on my knees to be with my wife, she smells so good.

Last edited by Velvet : 06-24-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Chickadee

Thanks Velvet for starting this, I am on vacation so no way I could listen to all of that. What interesting info...I like the fact that Shazzie says "Raw is not a Religon". Listening to her daughter and letting her do what feels natural.
It is hard enough to always do what you want...let alone get your kids to follow along!
As far as the Clement article, that's an interesting idea, women as the spiritual and more liberated sex. Well, I've always thought so anyway...haha...but seriously, puts a little more emphasis and pressure on the matriarch to nurture these things within her family.
Namaste,
M
Old 06-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Meadowlark

I really liked Shazzie's interview. I like that she isn't set on one viewpoint, and is willing to change as she discovers new facts. I'm not set on whether my children will be vegan or not. I think I'd rather have them eat free range organic eggs for the choline rather than soy lecithin. I'd rather have them drink raw goat milk rather than pasteurized soy milk. Finding raw dairy here is very hard though, I think it's illegal but I think we can get some "illegally". lol, that sounds like we're doing drugs, even though it's the healthier option.

I'm not sure about Dr Clement's statement that only 15% should be from fruit, and not more. That's not a lot of fruit in the end, and I really like fruits for their vitamins and ease of consumption. My hubby isn't a huge fan of greens (unlike me), so if I didn't make green smoothies, he wouldn't get nearly as many greens in him.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Meadowlark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I'd pitch in to share the cost, if we could get like 10 people to do it, it wouldn't be much.
Or, we can divide each interview, and each person does a summary?

I'm off to listen to a new one, but I can't do more than 2 a day =/

This is fun though!

Yes, yes! That would be spectacular!! I am SO busy getting all the loose ends tied up for this company, but I'm going to try to listen to more of them.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Meadowlark

Wow, interesting thoughts from him. I can't believe how much nutrition is lost right after picking!!! Makes me want to get my own garden!

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > What's Happening on the Raw Scene?