Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General

Raw Food Preparation - General Share and learn about raw food prep, ingredients, recipes and tips.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Wink Need Ideas for Catering Contract

Yes, you read right. After keeping my involvement with raw foods solely at the virtual level for years, I'm now making the jump to the 'real world'.

Don and I will be catering for 25 to 30 people next month for at least one dinner, perhaps even 2 or 3. We're okay in terms of soups and salad dressing ideas, but we're looking for main courses that are not too labor intensive and don't require pricey/special ingredients. Oh, and we have to bear in mind that these folks aren't necessarily interested in healthy and/or raw foods per se so the dishes need to be SAD approved.

I'm thinking that a pasta dish would probably be a good place to start. Cashews are expensive here so it rules out an alfredo type sauce, but perhaps with tomato sauce or pesto.

I thought about fajitas but I'm concerned that some people don't like mushrooms or spicey stuff.

Tuna salad in lettuce leafs or crackers would be an option but I was wondering if it's more lunch like than dinner like.

Any feedbacks and suggestions welcome!!!

Thanks guys, you're the best!
Old 07-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

Carmi:

that's a 'tall' order......... tasty, delicious, looking good............and not pricey/spendy.............LOL

1. How much are you charging per person?
2. When you charge $$$$ people have ''Expectations'''
3. If you do cashews..........say for sauce..............remember
they are paying so you must 'feed them'
4. You could do white sauce and red sauce.........beautiful presentations.........
5. RAW CATERING is a lot more expensive...........you can feed feed
more people on cheap......SAD FOOD......spaghetti, breads, etc...foods.....canned spaghetti sauce etc.........

do cucumber soup..........yum
do zucchini tubes stuffed with seed/veggie filling with two sauces(white 1/2 on a plate tube in center and the other 1/2 red sauce!!!!
do salad--with edible flowers???--for presentation.........
do dessert- in a sheet form and cut out shapes/slices with sauce and a mint leaf and edible flower.

drinks????

#2 your Campbell's Tomato Soup
Fajitas..............don't make them spicy --- serve a spicy sauce on a side so who ever wants spicy can drizzle some 'HOT' IN

Salad always...........
Dessert...........
Old 07-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Meadowlark

What about using raw cashew pieces? I get organic raw cashew pieces from our co-op and they are about half the cost of the whole cashews (between $6-7/pound). I know they are not 'truly' raw since the shells have to be boiled off, but I personally just don't feel any difference or healthier using the expensive, specially ordered truly raw cashews. (but that's just me. I'd be broke if I used the expensive ones as I use several cups of cashews practically every weekend! eeeek! ).......Maybe it would be worth ordering a large amount of the cheaper cashew pieces if you can't find them locally.

If you do get access to reasonably priced cashews, I'd make the famous rich cheddar sauce over marinated broccoli. Our SAD family loves that stuff!!!

As much as I adore raw vegan food, I still find the entree part difficult when feeding SAD folks and my picky husband

Russell's spinach mushroom quiche tarts would certainly have mass apeal for SAD folks but they are time consuming and expensive to make. Our SAD, picky family who couldn't eat spicy food loved these!!!

What about a red beet ravioli recipe? Again it might be expensive and time consuming depending on which recipe you use. Our picky SAD family loves the recipe in RFRW. That's one of my favorites. Not sure how feasible it would be for 30 people though.....

This is a tough one! But I'll look through some blogs and recipe books....Funny, if I was to do this same project, I'd probably be combing your blog, Carmella!!

Last edited by J.o.y.c.e : 07-08-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Meadowlark

Hey Joz, what kind of things do the Boutenkos make for catering jobs? I remember reading how they would cater wedddings and big parties like that.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.o.y.c.e View Post
As much as I adore raw vegan food, I still find the entree part difficult when feeding SAD folks and my picky husband

Russell's spinach mushroom quiche tarts would certainly have mass apeal for SAD folks but they are time consuming and expensive to make. Our SAD, picky family who couldn't eat spicy food loved these!!!

What about a red beet ravioli recipe? Again it might be expensive and time consuming depending on which recipe you use. Our picky SAD family loves the recipe in RFRW. That's one of my favorites. Not sure how feasible it would be for 30 people though.....
I would pick the Quiche Tarats............but they are time consuming.............

and if you'r feeding SAD people who don't care about healthy foods --what a time consuming effort ...................... wow!
Old 07-08-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Hey Joz, what kind of things do the Boutenkos make for catering jobs? I remember reading how they would cater wedddings and big parties like that.

I don't know what Boutenkos did at like weddings.................but several times for large groups................

they do sort of a platter..................Same idea they did at the Raw Union wedding for Matt & Angela just a few weeks ago. you could actually see a picture of the plate......http://picasaweb.google.com/rubyvroo...99056488004946

a cracker with pate
salad
some veggies
few nuts.............
then the cake /dessert

take a look at this...............http://www.purejoylivingfoods.com/catering.php and http://www.purejoylivingfoods.com/services.php

Last edited by wyjoz : 07-08-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Toucan - Caretaker

Okay, so you need to make something that yields a lot... How about Snow's sesame chicken nuggets? They are not too expensive; with walnuts and sunflower seeds... Or falafels? Or stuffed mushies? Crab cakes?
Old 07-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Hatchling

imho

what I find helpful in dealing with sad eaters is for some of the food to be just what it is -a really good peach-amazingly some --many have just never tasted simple good stuff from nature. I agree that soups and salads are easy winners-if this group has little ones I have found taste test or dueling plates works well-a small serving of two soups that are really diff but flow well--a cool creamy soup with a spicy one(you prob know this ) -a lot of very small tastes seem to keep the focus on the "newness"plus it is fun to compare notes...( a tasting menu so to speak)
something that also seems to please is a simple main item but with a few dipping sauces(which also go over well with sad eaters)

If it not formal a build your own bar or componate plate works well--
nori sheets and nice choice of fillings-if your fancy cut layers of nori,greens,crunchy lettuce and veggies with a round cookie cutter along with any of your fav marinated veggies -presentation is great you can make nori one size larger . If it looks fancy people think they should lke it-lol
Also serve a drink with each item-if it is sit down(fill ups) Like a nice chia(ish) sesame milk or a lite citrus sparkler.
Palet cleansers of some type between dishes help focus on the taste not the method of cooking like a frozen sorbet -mmmmm

Oh wow did not mean to be so loooooooooooooong. If you let me know about the people I can narrow it down I realy enjoy "cooking" for others...Keep it simple but make it look fancy.

Last edited by InquisitiveOne : 07-08-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Awesome, thanks for all the input!

Thanks Jozzie, these are very good points.

I don't know how much each person will be paying yet; somewhere between $10 and $15.

Although things are generally more pricy here than in BC, zucchinis are cheap which rawks!!! So something like pasta or tubes or whatever would be perfect. Then we can use the scraps for Zucchini Soup.

Quote:
your Campbell's Tomato Soup
Yah, good idea. Or maybe my Tom Basil soup...

Oh, and you're reminding me... I still have to figure out desserts too! Something fruity would be nice... Maybe a cheesecake since it's just a 2 step thing. Easy Peasy.

Quote:
This is a tough one! But I'll look through some blogs and recipe books....Funny, if I was to do this same project, I'd probably be combing your blog, Carmella!!
Thanks Joyce. Hehe

Cashew pieces are about $10/lb I think here. Actually, someone from Qc wrote to me in regards to my complaining about the price of nuts/seeds and said that she goes to Vermont to buy hers as it's much cheaper. I've started looking on the net for potential good places to order from. Found this: http://www.bulkfoods.com/search.asp

Has anyone ordered from them before?

I hear you, those spinach mushroom quiche tarts rawks but they take so long to assemble (esp the crust).

Snow's sesame chicken nuggets could indeed fit the bill. I'd just have to come up with a good side dish though and jicama rice is out of the question. snif snif

You know, I was thinking that pizza would be doable too. It's something that people would be familiar with and raw piz is soooooo good! I could make large crusts instead of the individual size ones I usually do, top with cheddar sauce, tom sauce and marinated veggies.

InquisitiveOne,

The people will all be adults as far as I know as they will be taking part to a 6 day pilgrimage walk. I'm not sure about what kind of facilities will be available yet. Will have to ask...
Old 07-09-2009, 04:27 AM
Swallow

awesome and inspiring! pizza is a good idea.
i regularily feed mostly SAD eaters here...but mostly "healthy" eaters! (my fave response from my husband to some of my "dishes" is

mmmmm - tastes....healthy....

hopefully they are open-minded.
onion bread is always a winner. simple veg with dips, and flax crax with dip (people generally seem to like those, too)
i made your mini-quiches one night for sad dinner, people really liked them. (crusts a bit tricky, though, i agree)

my most successful pasta yet with non-raw eaters has been more starchy (yam or carrot) or cabbage and collard green sliced. the cabbage, wilted, with a thai-type sauce (sweet, sour?)

lasagna? that was a hit and a half...and it looks JUST like regular, that might be important.

re: soups....i have had a lot of experience of people being leary of anything bright green and liquidy. may be best to stick to a tomato or carrot type of thing... i guess not everyone sees pureed green as pure energy that gets us excited!

oh oh and of course the ultimate... curry! always a hit. i think i tried a palak paneer recipe i found somewhere with macs and spinach and masala, and also a green thai-type coconut curry that i make regularily that i am tired of at the moment but always seems to satiate. and it is FILLING...yum!

good luck! let us know how it all turns out!
Old 07-09-2009, 05:05 AM
Meadowlark

The tuna pate made into sushi?
http://joannasteven.blogspot.com/200...una-sushi.html

Chocolate covered fruits for dessert? The in season fruit cost will offset the use of the cacao butter, maybe. Or it might still be too expensive...
Old 07-09-2009, 06:48 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

This is so cool! I can feel this coming together. Yay!

Thanks Ani,

Lasagna would be amazing, I agree. It's the pragmatic aspect of it I'd be a bit worried about (assembling, serving). Hum... Will see if it's doable.

Great point re: soups!!! I, too, forget how 'green' some of them may be appear to a non-raw foodist.

Love LOVE your fruit/chocolate idea for dessert, Velvet!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:20 AM
Meadowlark

Hey Carmella,

Check this out: Heirloom Tomatoes in a Basil Crust. It was posted in the recipe section in purelydelicious.net. Has anyone made these??

The macs might be expensive but perhaps a substitution would work. This looks lovely, simple and yet so gourmet

The almond cheese manicotti also looks like a good one from the same webstite

Just an idea. I'm searching for an easy snack to serve our friends coming up from Boston next week. They'll arive late in the evening and are big SAD eaters. Trying to find a simple yet elegant, classy snack/light meal.

Last edited by J.o.y.c.e : 07-09-2009 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Meadowlark

Weird, I was just flipping through my PD mag last night and was looking at the tomatoes in Basil Crust. I try to make everything in each magazine and I realized I hadn't made that one yet.

Last night, I made a sundried tomato pesto dip that I found on Kristen's Raw blog and it is DELISH.

I just threw it in my salad as dressing. But thinned out, It could be served on zucchini noodles. Or as she suggests, stuff a tomato with it and top it with sprouts. I want to add cucumber in the stuffed tomato, then top with pesot and srouts..yum.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Quote:
Check this out: Heirloom Tomatoes in a Basil Crust. It was posted in the recipe section in purelydelicious.net. Has anyone made these??
Mmmm... Too bad tart/quiche shaping is so time consuming.

I like the manicotti idea. I have a similar recipe along those lines in my first ebook which would work nicely too.

Thanks Pirawna for pointing out that sundried tomato pesto dip. It does look delish and simple. I could try subbing some of the pine nuts with walnuts maybe. I know it works really well in regular basil pesto.

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General