Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General

Raw Food Preparation - General Share and learn about raw food prep, ingredients, recipes and tips.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:48 AM
Swallow

Dessert ideas for open house

Could you please guide me? I'm having a dessert reception/open house in my home in a couple of weeks. I'd like to serve several raw yummies. (I'd actually like to serve all raw yummies, but that won't be possible.)

I live in Houston, so humidity is a concern with the treats sitting out 4:30 - 7:30 PM, although I could replenish the serving trays.

I'm expecting about 200 people, including children, during the afternoon. So I need to be able to prepare lots. I'd like variety, as well as quantity. And I would like to be able to prepare as much as I can ahead of time and freeze.

Thanks for your guidance.
Gittel
Old 07-31-2009, 09:58 AM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

Make several 'cheesecakes' in long glass baking dishes and cut in squares!

then make truffles !

then make Lemon bars. in long glass baking dish and cut in triangles !

Joz
Old 07-31-2009, 11:25 AM
Swallow

Thank you, Joz!

Glass baking dishes. Sounds good. Would I need to coat them with coconut oil first to ease their removal?

Lemon bars? Yum! Would you please share the recipe with me?

I found a recipe for Maraw's Chocolate Dipped Date Truffles. I'm having some trouble finding other truffle recipes. Can you share some with me? Do you think I could use a pecan/date/cocoa concoction rolled into balls?

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Hatchling

You could also save yourself some trouble and make individual tortes or cheesecakes or whatever but put them in paper muffin cups in muffin tins, so you get individual cute portions without the work/hassle of cutting perfect slices. If you wanted to get really cute, you could use mini muffin tins. For 200 people, that's a lot of cutting or rolling of individual things -- even if you do ahead, stuff on a larger scale turns into a big production when you have to get small and individual.

I really like the new Ani Phyo all-dessert book (and I don't even have much of a sweet tooth!). Her recipes are easy and take a minimal number of ingredients.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Swallow

I found these adorable bite-sized silicone trays and used a brownie/chocolate cake recipe in them, then I froze them. Sadly, I had a hard time removing the brownies from the pan.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Bite-Si...9313476&sr=8-1

Do you oil the silicone pans first? With coconut oil?

And where can I find the lemon bars recipe?

Gittel
Old 08-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gittel View Post
And where can I find the lemon bars recipe?

Gittel
the recipe is floating on the net..................but here:

Lemon Coconut Bars Ani Phio

1 cup almonds, chopped fine

1 ½ cups pitted dates (Medjool, khadrawhi, or other semi-soft date)

1 vanilla bean

1 tablespoon sea salt (I tried this and it is way too salty. I only used ¼ teaspoon of salt)

Zest of 1 lemon

Juice of 1 lemon, about 2 tablespoons

1 cup dried shredded coconut

In your food processor, chop almonds into small pieces. Use some of this nut powder to “flour” the bottom of a 9 inch square baking pan.

In a mixing bowl, mix remaining ingredients, including the remaining chopped almonds. Press into baking pan.

To serve, chill for a couple hours until firm. Then cut into squares. I cut in triangles!

Will keep for six days in the fridge.
Kidding ! JA? They are gone in 2 hrs!!!! Joz
Old 08-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Meadowlark

Gittel -- working on final details for a REALLY easy dessert that would be PERFECT for something like your event!! It'll be in the newsletter tomorrow (and you're on it, right? So you'll have it as soon as it's perfected!).

By the way... that is REALLY REALLY cool that you're going to have so many raw goodies. The way I see it, every time we surprise non-raw folks with amazing and surprisingly delish raw treats... could be saving a life. Could be opening the door for someone who may have died from heart disease or cancer in 10 years. You just NEVER know. That's what keeps me going! (Gaw, I'm such a sap. Teary eyed writing this. LOL!).

Anyways, keep us posted!!

xxo Eva
Old 08-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Swallow

Joz and Eva, thank you so much!

Joz, I'm not so "search-savvy", but I really did try. Thank you.

Eva, I look forward to your newsletter. Best of Luck with this endeavor! Thank you for supporting us out here. I, too, wish to effect a change. I have tried from so many different perspectives--breastfeeding, homeopathy, RAW. It's just so very important.

OK, another question--what is the best way to "package" things to freeze? I have made some small cheesecakes, but have not yet found the best way to freeze them without damaging them. I can't keep them in the original "baking pan" because I need to keep this operation in motion!

Thanks for all of you guidance and support!
Gittel
Old 08-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Swallow

Cassie, I purchased this cheesecake pan per your idea:

www.norpro.com/store/products/12-mini-cheesecake-pan

The cheesecakes are adorable! Thanks for the idea.

Joz, I made the Lemon Coconut Bars. YumYumYum! I had trouble spreading it in the pan. Did I do something wrong? It's in the freezer now. I'm concerned how I'll get them out of the pan.

I'm so grateful for all of your guidance! Thanks bunches!!
Gittel
Old 08-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gittel View Post
Cassie, I purchased this cheesecake pan per your idea:

www.norpro.com/store/products/12-mini-cheesecake-pan

The cheesecakes are adorable! Thanks for the idea.
Glad I could enable you with the purchase of some kitchen gadgetry. Heh heh. Something about stuff in miniature form makes it taste better! I might like the idea more because I hate attempting to portion things and can never get it perfect.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Meadowlark

Gittel! I finally sent out the newsletter with the truffles. I hope they work out for you! I double checked the recipe today before sending out the newsletter (tough work, eh?). My mom had a ball with them and has asked to bring them to work tomorrow to share with all of her non-raw coworkers. Tee hee.

As for freezing, I've found that glass bottoms work well. You can get those flat glass cutting boards for pretty cheap, and they won't ruin the shape of your cakes.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:33 AM
coco

if you line your pan with parchment paper you can "lift" your desserts right out onto a decorative plate once frozen. usng a springform pan works well too, just run a knife around the side, open the pan up and there you go. it's there on it's own little circle (which i also line with parchment or Messsyy clean up later on).
Old 08-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Swallow

Gosh, what great ideas! Thank you!

I made the Lemon-Coconut Bars. Delish! I ate almost half just trying to cut them uniformly. (Can't let those uneven pieces go to waste, you know!) I refroze the pan in frustration. I think I will remix it in the FP and then line a pan with parchment for easy lifting. Maybe then I will be able to cut the bars better.

Eva, the truffles sound yummy! I especially like your presentation in the chocolate cup. Beautiful and enticing. Did you make the cup? I still haven't found a chocolate candy recipe that will hold up at room temp. (I've eaten waaaayyyyyyyy too much sugar in the last week--but it's been fun!)

Ok, Cassie, the mini cheesecake pan has been so successful that.....drum roll....I purchased a second one! Of course I am justifying the cost due to the need to be more efficient with my time. See, a recipe makes more than one pan (12) of minis. So after the first pan is frozen, I remove the minis from the pan, freeze in ziplocs (still looking to find a better way--I may look for the glass cutting boards--ouch, this is getting more and more expensive!), and then refill the pan with the rest of the cheesecake recipe. (Does this make sense?) By using a two-pan method, I can make a second batch of cheesecake later in the day, rather than using the pan to finish freezing the initial recipe. (???!?) Have I justified the need for the second pan? LOL (Part of the justification involves knowing that 200 guests eat a lot of desserts, so I have to keep cranking out the cheesecakes!)

Later today I hope to start Blackforest Chocolate Cheesecake.

Gittel
Old 08-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Chickadee

Gittel,
Just wondering where this party will be, and if I can come. Sounds like it will be amazing with all of the hard work you are putting into it! Good Luck!
Old 08-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Swallow

Hi, Hippimom! You are so kind! (*blush**blush*) I'd love to have you join us! I'd love to have all of my raw online friends join, but I'm no hostess/*cook* compared to any of them. I need a lot of guidance, which, gratefully, I receive right here. I've shared raw goodies over the years with guests for meals each Friday night and Saturday, but nothing of this caliber. I wish I could serve 100% raw food at this reception/open house, but cost and my own (in)abilities prevent me from this. Wow! is it turning out to be expensive!

So, please, come!
Gittel

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General