Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Raw 'Round The World

Raw 'Round The World International Cuisine In The Raw!

Old 08-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Tuscan Pizza

This was part of the main course at a recent dinner we catered for. We opted for a simple but very tasty combination of ingredients. We spread a thick layer of fermented cashew cheeze on a sunflower buckwheat crust, followed by cherry tomatoes, black olives, thinly sliced red onion and nut parmesan.

Man, was it ever good!

Tuscan Pizza

For this recipe you will need:
  • Herb Pizza Crusts
  • Basil & Garlic Cheeze
  • Cherry tomatoes, sliced
  • Kalamata olives, slivered
  • Red onion, finely sliced
  • Nut Parmesan*
*I used a parmesan recipe from Cafe Gratitude's book made with Brazil nuts, garlic and salt, but I bet my Pine Nut Parmesan would have also worked nicely.

Herb Pizza Crusts

This delicious new crust recipe is a sort of a cross between the Pizza Crust featured in Cafe Gratitude's I Am Grateful and my usual favorite Veggie Herb Crust. A winner and definite new favorite!

Yields about 33 square crusts

4 cups soaked buckwheat
2 2/3 cups sunflower seeds, soaked
4 cups zucchini, peeled and roughly chopped
3/4 - 1 cup ground flax
1 1/4 cups water
1/4 cup + 1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs + 2 tsp Italian herbs
1 tbs + 1 tsp crushed garlic
1 tbs sea salt

Blend all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.

Spread batter about 1/4 " thick on 3 3/4 dehydrator trays covered with teflex sheets. Score into 9 squares per tray.

Dehydrate at 125 for 2-3 hours, then flip onto mesh and turn the temperature down to 110.

Dehydrate until dry.

Carmella's Note: Alternatively, you could also form the batter into small or large round crusts.

I was considering topping the pizzas with thinly sliced fresh basil, but opted for a basil flavored cheeze instead. Have I told you how I'm in love with fermented cheeze? It all started here!

Basil &
Garlic Cheeze
1 cup basic Cashew Cheeze (See recipe below)
1 generous teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced chives
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon packed fresh basil, chopped

Combine Cashew Cheeze, garlic, chives, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and salt in a bowl. Stir until well mixed. Add basil and stir until well distributed. Taste and adjust salt, if desired.

Press firmly into a small container or bowl lined with plastic film. Sprinkle mixture of dried basil and garlic powder on top. Allow to chill for at least 12 hours or until it firms up.

When firm, de-mold, turn over and transfer onto a plate. Sprinkle more dried herbs on top and sides.

Variation: If you prefer, you can enjoy this Cheeze 'cream cheese style' by simply transferring the mixture into a container and using it as a spread. This is the texture I aimed for in the above cheeze.

Store in fridge in airtight container for up to 3 or 4 days.

Basic Cashew Cheeze
3 cups cashews, soaked 12-14 hours
3 capsules probiotics
2/3 cup fresh rejuvelac (see instructions in this post)

In high speed blender, blend the soaked cashews with probiotics and rejuvelac until smooth.

Line a sieve with a double thickness of cheesecloth and place over a bowl. Transfer the mixture to the sieve, drape the cheesecloth over the top, cover with a towel and leave in a warm place to ripen for anywhere from 14 to 24 hours, depending on how warm your house is.

Season according to one of the following recipes (or come up with your own variation!)

Alternatively, shape the mixture into a round, place in a covered container, and refrigerate for at least 24 hours, or until it firms up.

Store in fridge in airtight container for up to 3 or 4 days.

Carmella's Notes:
~ I've been using rejuvelac made with quinoa and it works beautifully. I soak 1/4 cup quinoa in about 1 1/2 cups water overnight, drain and rinse well the next morning. Then I add 1 cup fresh water to the mason jar, cover it with cheese cloth, followed by a clean towel, and let it sit in a warm place for 2 days. Then I decant the liquid; this is your rejuvelac!

~ I once forgot to soak the cashews ahead of time and did a little experiment; I ground them up finely in the Vitamix first and added a little more water. The mixture didn't blend as easily as with soaked cashews so I ended up using more liquid than in the original recipe. The texture of the resulting Cheeze was a touch softer and had more the consistency of Boursin. Out of this world!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PizzaCloseUpW.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	3444  Click image for larger version

Name:	PizzaForUsW.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	3445  
Old 08-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Chickadee

Absolutely delish through my eyes. However your crust looks a little brown and I wanted a thick whiter Sicilian crust. Got ideas on alternative Carmella.

You are such a great human being--always giving to all. Last blog post or newsletter was touchy/feely with you and Don's generosity to that group.

Carolg
Old 08-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Thanks Carolg for your warm words.

I'd recommend going with the Veggie Herb Crust recipe then. It's the one I normally use by default. It only calls for buckwheat and if you use golden flax, turns out really light colored.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Chickadee

Hi Carmella,
YEP herb crust looks better for me...thanks...I hate however washing this slimmy stuff, but read a few minutes only for the soaking is enough....

Hugs,
carolg
Old 08-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

What I usually do with buckwheat is soak it overnight, then transfer it to a sieve the next morning. Then pour water on the buckwheat until it comes out clear. Minimal fuss that way!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Meadowlark

Looks wonderful!

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Raw 'Round The World