Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Raw Freedom Lounge > Hanging Out

Hanging Out A place to just hang out and talk about everything else!

Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Rawbie

Deer Antler Velvet Supplement

Hello everyone!

I just found an interesting, but disturbing post which might captivate your interest. Please note that it is not my intention to make waves, but people need to be aware of certain products that raw food gurus are selling these days.

The enclosed post was copied from:

http://www.giveittomeraw.com/profile...vet-supplement

Please note that the comments are closed for the post at GI2MR , but there is another link to read what others have to say about the supplement:

http://arawconnection.ning.com/forum...vet-supplement

Matt Monarch sells on his site Deer Antler Velvet Supplement. This has been mentioned on the site before, and someone said that it was not harvested off of live animals, but off of foraged deer antlers in the wild. I have done research on the topic, and the fact is is that deer antler velvet is harvested off of live deer, at deer farms in New Zealand. They drug the deer and remove the velvet from their antlers. These deers are being raised for slaughterer for their meat. I am aware that most if not all of the people on this site would never purchase such a product, but this is not my point in posting this. Deer Antler Velvet is a product that is available from other distributors. I feel that it is our responsibility, if we care about animal rights, to let Matt Monarch know that we do not support his decision to profit off of animal agriculture and animals slaughter. It is essential that we make choices about what we will tolerate within the raw food movement, and what we will not. We can not force Matt Monarch to stop promoting animal agriculture in his business, but if we voice our outrage to him and other concerned vegans and raw vegans, maybe we can convince him that this is an undesirable business choice. I would appreciate that if you do not agree with this sentiment, that you reserve your comments for people who do think that this is a worthwhile pursuit. My intent is not to be divisive, but to make people aware of this travesty against animals. If you agree with what I am saying, please email Matt Monarch on the contact page of RawFoodWorld.com and express to him, how you wish that he would stop selling Deer Antler Velvet. Also, please tell your other raw vegans friends about this, so they can make an informed decision if they would like to continue supporting Raw Food World and Matt Monarch.

What do you think? Should we be proactive and let Matt Monarch know of our position if the facts about deer antler velvet prove to be true?

Wayne
Old 09-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Meadowlark

I think we should ask if for sure it's harvested off non wild deer, and how. I heard that the velvet falls off the deer, and then it's harvest.

In any case, I'm against it for 2 reasons:
- It's a by product of animals held in captivity (if it's true)
- It makes raw foodists in general looks like weird people who would eat anything that is marketed to make us healthier.

Why don't raw celebrities stick to FOOD? God knows there's enough food out there to make us healthier than anyone else eating cooked. I'll contact Matt Monarch to know what the deal is.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

Greetings from Matt Monarch
In this Newsletter you can find:
Reversing Calcification Article, by Matt Monarch
The Raw Food World T.V. Show Updates
Deer Antler Essence!?!?!

Recently, I was at a raw food festiv@l, and George, the owner of Jing Herbs, came up to me and introduced himself. He told me that David Wolfe was now taking a few of his products, and Deer Antler Essence was one of them. This product contains Deer Antler Tips (There is apparently new deer antler growth each year, part of which can be harvested without harming the animal),
Gojis AND He Shou Wu. If you've listened much to David speak, I am sure that you have heard him mention Deer Antler, Gojis and He Shou Wu at one point or another.
Jing Herbs say: Deer Antler Essence is a premiere tonic formulation for the rejuvenation of Yin Essence, Yang Essence, and blo0d. Deer Antler is a prized tonic in the East that provides deep nourishment of Jing Essence. Considered a Yang tonic, it provides physic@l, sexual, and creative energy by nourishing the root energy of the body. It also is extremely powerful for nourishing bone marrow and building blo0d.
He Shou Wu (Polygonum multiflorum) and Lycium are both powerful Yin Jing restorative herbs that nourish blo0d, replenish Essence, tonify fertility, and promote longevity. Together, these three herbs deeply nourish and vitalize root energy for those whose lifestyles demand nothing but the best.
Ingredients: New Zealand Deer Antler Tips, Lycium fruit, Polygonum multiflorum (prepared) root.
WILD Reishi Mushroom!!!
Another HIGH QUALITY product by Jing Herbs. This is the HIGHEST quality WILD Reishi Mushroom that we could get our hands on!!! It is one of the TOP IMMUNE BOOSTING products recommended by David Wolfe in his "Longevity Now" Program.
This Reishi Mushroom product is a wild crafted tonic herb for cultivating Spiritual energy, modulating immune function, and promoting health, longevity, and peace of mind.
Ingredients: Ye Sheng Wild crafted Reishi fruiting body.
Here are all the latest new additions to The Raw Food World Store:
Deer Antler Essence, 2oz
WILD Reishi Mushroom, 90 caps
~Many Blessings to you from The Raw Food World~
Thank you for continuing to let us serve you.
We wish you and those you love, the very best of everything!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:12 AM

Welcome to the Deer Velvet Antler Public Information SiteThis site has been developed to provide up-to-date information on the health benefits of deer velvet antler as a natural dietary supplement . Deer velvet antler ...

deervelvetinformation.org · Cached pageDeer Antler Plus - Official WebsiteDeer Antler ... supplements depend on the diet of the deer, climate, time of year, age of stag and the various concentrations of substances in different regions of the antler ...

www.deerantlerplus.com · Cached pageDeer-Antler-Velvet supplement, increase sex drive, full spectrumDeer-Antler-Velvet supplement, increase sex drive, full spectrum (0415) Deer Antler Velvet supplement, 250 mg per pill 60 tablets Increase sex drive

http://www.physicianformulas.com/sto...-Antler-Velvet · Cached pageDeer Velvet, Deer Antler Velvet, Antlers, Deer Supplement - CanesCanes Deer Velvet Antler from clean, green New Zealand. Deer Antler Velvet supplements contain unique nutrients for sport, injuries, aches and joint pains.

www.canesdeervelvet.com · Cached pageVelvita: Deer Velvet Antler Dietary Health SupplementProvides news, testimonials, articles, books, and links to alternative health information and stores.

www.velvita.com · Cached pageDeer Antler to Nourish Blood, Bone, and JointsLujiaojiao (deer antler gelatin): Sweet in flavor and warm in nature, lujiaojiao warms and supplements the kidney, supplements yang within yin, frees the blood of the thoroughfare ...

www.itmonline.org/arts/antler.htm
Old 09-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Meadowlark

From The Raw Food World:

"Hello Joanna,

Deer Antler is truly one of nature’s miraculous examples of regeneration and sustainability. In the spring antlers naturally grow at an astounding rate of almost 2 cm daily. At approximately day 60 of the growing cycle, the deer are gathered together from the free range, and the antlers are harvested under the auspices of licensed and trained veterinarians. After a few days, when it has been determined that the animals are all in good health, they are returned the free range for the remainder of the year.

After harvesting the antlers are freeze dried and then sliced into thin wafers. It is these thin slices that Jing Herbs then takes delivery of and processes into our potent and full spectrum Deer Antler Essence. We only do full spectrum extractions because we believe nature constructs the products to a state of perfection in relation to active ingredients. When you take a natural product like deer antler, and try to spike the levels of one or two of the ‘active ingredients’, you may be getting the intelligence of the product, but you may be leaving behind the wisdom. We give you the product the way nature intended, in its potent, nutrient rich, non-toxic, full spectrum glory.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Thank you,

Lindsey"

I really like buying from them, and they're very nice. I still won't buy the deer antler thing but maybe this answer the thread's question.

Honestly, if people need " physic@l, sexual, and creative energy by nourishing the root energy of the body" on a high raw diet, then maybe they should review their diet before eating clippings of deer's antlers. I may be wrong, but that's what I think. I'm keeping an open mind, but so far, I've had such great results with green smoothies, green juices, algae, etc. that I'm satisfied with that. If I had more energy, I wouldn't know what to do with it!
Old 09-02-2009, 02:43 PM
coco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
From The Raw Food World:
Honestly, if people need " physic@l, sexual, and creative energy by nourishing the root energy of the body" on a high raw diet, then maybe they should review their diet before eating clippings of deer's antlers.
no kidding. that's foul as far as i'm concerned. deer certainly don't grow antlers for the purpose of human health supplementation. why anyone would think taking something like that is a good idea is beyond me.

"For every illness that we know, G_d allows an herb to grow."
Old 09-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Toucan - Caretaker

Quote:
At approximately day 60 of the growing cycle, the deer are gathered together from the free range, and the antlers are harvested under the auspices of licensed and trained veterinarians. After a few days, when it has been determined that the animals are all in good health, they are returned the free range for the remainder of the year.
Poor, mutilated animals...
Of course they are scared to death, sedated (drugged!) in order that this vicious task can be performed on them, then probably treated with more drugs (antibiotics?) to prevent inflammation.
I wonder what else humans (?) can justify in the name of "health"?!
Old 09-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Meadowlark

I had heard that the velvet just falls off and we pick it up. Now apparently they clip it off the deer. What?!
Old 09-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Meadowlark

It all seems so ridiculous. Why in the world would we use deer antlers for health? When in the wild would people do that? I feel FANTASTIC on real foods. So silly to take from the animals when we can just take from the ground.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:58 PM

****THEY CLIP IT OFF ! Imagine? looking for some powdery stuff that falls off the deer antlers to the ground and then harvesting it? antlers are brown, dirt/ground is brown ???? hmmm? do the math............well - O.K. O.K. - scientific deductive reasoning .....

you would have to be so close to the deer to witness exactly where this stuff fell.............deer in the wild just stand there for man's bidding for our 'health' specimen collections for our benefits?
Old 09-03-2009, 05:24 AM
Meadowlark

I really hope all this won't discredit the movement. Daniel Vitalis, who recommends the deer antler extract, also like to drink colostrum on a regular basis. It's the first "milk" from a mother which gives the baby immunity and better health. He basically takes as much as he can from cows until the point where taking more would be dangerous for the calf. There are videos of it on youtube. I think it's crazy personally. My immune system is great. Granted, I was breastfed 9 months so I got colostrum from my mom, but still.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:33 AM
Rawbie

Quote:
I really hope all this won't discredit the movement.
Hey Velvet!

I am definitely with you, but we need to admit that whatever raw food gurus are either promoting or up-selling certain products give people another reason for pause for reflection about the raw food movement in general.

To bring my point home about people's growing need for reflection, many raw food books, for instance as Frederic Patenaude mentioned in one of his articles, are still filled with made-up facts, bogus science, anecdotal evidence and useless advice such as: “Just find out what works best for you.” It is no wonder that most people are in a state of deep confusion. They can’t make sense of it all. This is, of course, in spite of the fact that the raw food movement is on a more solid footing these days.

Let's see what shakes out of all of this.

Wayne
Old 09-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Meadowlark

I do think that people should find out what works best for them, because some things work for some people but not for others... Some people do wonderfully well on 811 (Durian Rider for example) while others do wonderfully well on higher fat diets (Tonya Kay and Brendan Brazier for example).

But yes, I do understand what you're saying and I agree. That's pretty much why I approached Tonya Kay to write eBooks with her. I kept seeing bad science, and I needed to set things straight in my own small way.

On a positive light, Daniel is not a raw vegan, at all. He's very much a meat eater, so as long as raw "gurus" say "OK I keep an open mind, but I won't touch the stuff", it's not too big a deal... I hope. David Wolfe said in an interview that he brings choices to people, and I really appreciate that, even if it's stuff I don't always agree with. But when animals are harmed... it's hard not to show some indignation
Old 09-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Rawbie

Quote:
I do think that people should find out what works best for them, because some things work for some people but not for others... Some people do wonderfully well on 811 (Durian Rider for example) while others do wonderfully well on higher fat diets (Tonya Kay and Brendan Brazier for example).
Yeah, you are right in this regard, but those people to which you are referring are experienced raw foodists who have had many years of trying to find out whatever works the best for them. They are, in most cases, at a point in their lives about figuring what works in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle

I am more concerned about newcomers who are just starting to embrace or dabble the raw food lifestyle. There is enough conflicting information out there that they likely have no inkling about where to start. For instance, it is confusing enough when they hear David Wolfe, as a leading raw food guru, ingesting deer antler velvet or even insects for better health.

In any rate, it would be interesting to know what the raw food movement is going to be like in 5 or 10 years from now. Does anyone know or, at least, predict?
Old 09-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Meadowlark

I think that those who stop and think before buying will still be raw and healthy, and those who forget about food and focus too much on "elixirs" will either give up or swear off superfoods forever, which is sad, because some things add a lot of fun to meals (raw desserts with cacao and all that).

Eh... maybe I'm just feeling a little down today

Raw Freedom Community > Raw Freedom Lounge > Hanging Out