Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General

Raw Food Preparation - General Share and learn about raw food prep, ingredients, recipes and tips.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Swallow

Coconut Milk Confusion

How do I make my own coconut milk?

Recipe saying 1 part dried coconut to 3 parts of water. 1 part is that tablesppon or cup?

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Rawbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawDiva View Post
How do I make my own coconut milk?

Recipe saying 1 part dried coconut to 3 parts of water. 1 part is that tablesppon or cup?

Thanks.
This is a very good question and thank you for bringing it up.

It depends on how much coconut milk you want for your recipe.

You could, for instance, use one cup of coconut flakes and 3 cups of water. This is just an example. You can use whatever measurement in order to get the amount of coconut milk for which the recipe calls, but the main thing is that the ratio for coconut flakes to water is 1:3 (i.e. 1 part coconut flakes to 3 parts water).

Does that answer your question?

I actually got this information from Carmella as she makes coconut milk for some of her soups and desserts all the time. Check out her coconut milk-based recipes in case you are curious.

Last edited by Rawbie : 11-30-2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 11-29-2009, 06:33 AM
Rawbie

Quote:
I too use the coconut flakes blended with water (I saw the idea in Sarma's new cookbook).
Thanks to NatureMom for the reminder about Sarma's new recipe book at another thread. I took a look at the book and of course, Sarma uses different proportions to prepare her coconut milk -- 2 cups of coconut flakes and 4-1/2 cups of water. For what it is worth, she does strain her coconut milk to get rid of coconut bits after blending, though. In any rate, this is how Sarma makes her very creamy shakes.

I guess it is only a matter of how creamy or watery you want for your coconut milk. I prefer the 1:3 ratio as it always comes out perfect for my needs.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Swallow

Thank you RAWBIE for the clarification.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Rawbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawDiva View Post
Thank you RAWBIE for the clarification.
You are welcome, RawDiva!

When you have a chance, please go to my post #2 and reread it as I went back and did a little clarification.

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General