Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'

Living 'In The Raw' The place to discuss All-Things-Raw! From transitioning to the Raw Food Diet, to equipment, special techniques and more.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Toucan - Caretaker

Thanks, Erica.
I think I'll stick with my home-brewed kombucha tea, fresh wheat grass juice and sprouts for now. I simply try to avoid super-foods, powders, capsules and anything packaged and processed -well, as much as I can. My biggest challenge is to learn to like fermented stuff, like kimchee and kraut... and of course, to make it! But man, that's gonna be a looooooong process!
Old 12-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Banned

Speaking of Ann Wigmore, can anyone explain something to me: i know she was very fond of wheatgrass juice. If you accept, as i do, that man is primarily supposed to eat fruits and some soft veggies (and i know not everyone believes this, but assume that they do, for the moment), then isn't eating any grass, wheatgrass, kind of unnatural? Is any grass a natural food for humans? And the mere fact that you have to juice it, instead of munch on it, doesn't that mean it's unnatural to eat it? Doesn't it require a special kind of stomach (like cows have, ruminants) to process grasses? I've always been kind of perplexed by this.....

Also, if you don't like wheatgrass juice, is sprouting an alternative? I am learning how to sprout now. thanks!
Old 12-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Chickadee

I think that if we were just living off the land, and food was hard to come by, we'd be chewing on some grass and spitting out the fiber ---making our own wheatgrass juice.

Just a thought.

I personally don't like wheatgrass either and yet, I'm growing some and consume it...I also grow kamut, oats and barley grass---Kamut is the best tasting, I think - but I digress.....I water it down a little with actual water and add a little fruit juice to it, then it's fine. I do it for the minerals and the fact that it does not contain oxalates and I can get my chlorophyll.

I've even gotten my kids to drink it mixed with fresh apple and carrot juice, a little orange juice etc.

I was just checking out the Hurom juicer on YouTube and Matt Monarch took a swig of wheatgrass and said how he hated it, so we're not alone. I believe in "doctoring it up, because I think it's so good for you. But I don't do it every single day....Heck, I do a shotgun approach with just about everything in my diet, LOL.

Mary Kay

Last edited by marykays1 : 12-17-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

hey ya all. proper way of drinking wheat grass shot is...........put it in your mouth swish it around to mix with saliva ... and then swallow.

and you do get used to it.

another way is to take a sip of lemon juice for aftertaste......

all to health.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrieleN View Post
Also, if you don't like wheatgrass juice, is sprouting an alternative? I am learning how to sprout now. thanks!

you don't have to do wheat grass juice.

some smoothies and sprouts is great.

now we are into 'microgreens'....
Old 12-18-2009, 12:21 AM
Swallow

Once I had a kidney infection-while I was traveling in a remote area! I refused to take anti-biotics, against everyones advice. I cleared it out my body in 2 -3 days. I went on a detox diet and drank wheatgrass and kombucha. I love wheatgrass and am setting up my growing system.

I think "high raw" is when you eat lots of raw food (more than cooked), think allot about raw food, like raw food allot. But its also about health-not just the fact that its raw on principle, and that includes a healthy attitude. Sometimes situations come up when I think its better to be thankful than to think to yourself its not raw. I have traveled in Africa and other third world country and believe me its not always practical to be raw! I love it when I eat totally raw but am finding my own balance and that needs a degree of flexibility for now.

There are certain people I make food for sometimes that if I can get them to eat a cooked vegetable its an achievement! My brother was totally shocked that I tricked him into eating raw soup. I believe sometimes we need to meet people with baby steps to being healthier and that creates less resistance eg brown rice instead of white.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:40 AM
Meadowlark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaica View Post
Well, you'd need to tie me down and put a funnel in my mouth to make me drink goats milk...
My husband thinks it tastes like goat pee smell. It's kind of true, a goat barn smells like the cheese, so I know where he's coming from. It's probably a question of how you were raised. In France, eating goat's cheese is very common, so my sister and I love it. Haven't had any in a long time though, I don't like the one they have in the US. I had some yogurt that was good, about 2 years ago. I couldn't find a place for it in my diet though, like I do with green juices and smoothies. So I quit eating it after the 1st jar.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Meadowlark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrieleN View Post
Speaking of Ann Wigmore, can anyone explain something to me: i know she was very fond of wheatgrass juice. If you accept, as i do, that man is primarily supposed to eat fruits and some soft veggies (and i know not everyone believes this, but assume that they do, for the moment), then isn't eating any grass, wheatgrass, kind of unnatural? Is any grass a natural food for humans? And the mere fact that you have to juice it, instead of munch on it, doesn't that mean it's unnatural to eat it? Doesn't it require a special kind of stomach (like cows have, ruminants) to process grasses? I've always been kind of perplexed by this.....

Sprouts and wheatgrass each have their benefits. Wheatgrass isn't mandatory, but if someone is working on a health challenge it is really advisable. As far as us not being ruminants, we don't eat the grass or you're right, it would be very difficult to digest. Not even worth doing.

As far as how natural it is, you're likey right. Juice doesn't grow on trees or have roots in the ground. But using a blender to make smoothies or energy soup isn't natural either. We don't live in a natural world where nature is kept sacred/pure. Our air is poisoned, our water is poisoned our soil is poisoned, etc. We juice the wheatgrass not because it's a natural thing to do out in the wild, but because it's 70% crude chlorophyll, which if we still as the animals we are, eating the diet we were intended, we'd get a lot more of, and because it's cleans the blood, provides dense nutrients and has a myriad other benefits.

Animals generally ferment things by burying them in the ground, etc. We use equipment to make kraut, etc. Wheatgrass juice is a byproduct of civilization, so to speak, in the sense that we are able to make it, period. There likely wouldn't be a need for it "back in the day", but in today's age it's a wise luxury to take advantage of since we can. I hope this makes sense, LOL!
Old 12-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Toucan - Caretaker

Here's a free Ann Wigmore book to download on wheat grass:

http://www.curezone.com/blogs/fm.asp?i=967929

It explains wheat grass in detail and talks about Ann Wigmore's life- a very interesting story!

And here's an already existing thread on wheat grass with lots of useful info:

http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/...ead.php?t=5354

Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Hatchling

bumping this up with a question- this seemed the best place

so if i say im high raw and i'm aiming for 85% this week- how do i figure the 85%? i don't need to be uber accurate but..

..is it based on calories consumed or amount of food?
or is it personal choice?

thanks!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Hatchling

I'd go for the personal choice option....who's keeping score! You'll do exactly what you need to do....eat what you need to eat and you'll be healthy and happy....no need for number crunching, crunching on veggies and nuts is WAY more fun
Old 02-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Meadowlark

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylopal View Post
bumping this up with a question- this seemed the best place

so if i say im high raw and i'm aiming for 85% this week- how do i figure the 85%? i don't need to be uber accurate but..

..is it based on calories consumed or amount of food?
or is it personal choice?

thanks!
I would be far more concerned as to whether it's organic, alkaline and low-fat before I concerned myself with percentages.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Meadowlark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaica View Post
Here's a free Ann Wigmore book to download on wheat grass:

http://www.curezone.com/blogs/fm.asp?i=967929

It explains wheat grass in detail and talks about Ann Wigmore's life- a very interesting story!

And here's an already existing thread on wheat grass with lots of useful info:

http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/...ead.php?t=5354

Hope this helps.
AWESOME post, Mosaica. Dr. Ann knew what she was talking about!
Old 02-12-2010, 02:55 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoolOfRAWk View Post
I would be far more concerned as to whether it's organic, alkaline and low-fat before I concerned myself with percentages.

already there!! just a simple question about trying to significantly increase my raw- and trying to understand all this high raw/85% stuff. It is helpful to someone who is not 100% to know- i am so aware (but not obessed) of what i eat and i think thats why i'm in good health with no weight issues. i've increased my awareness of how much raw vs cooked i've been eating- some meals are 100% but for dinner the other night it was sort of a mixed bag- lots of fresh veggies but also a sprouted grain tortilla, hummus (not raw), and a bit of steamed chard.

so just curious since i hear raw people/books talk about 85%- wondering how they get that figure.

thanks
Old 02-12-2010, 02:57 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaiasfire View Post
I'd go for the personal choice option....who's keeping score! You'll do exactly what you need to do....eat what you need to eat and you'll be healthy and happy....no need for number crunching, crunching on veggies and nuts is WAY more fun
i think i'll take your advice! i don't mind watching the numbers at first til i get a good feel. taking notes at first is so helpful to me.

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'