Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General

Raw Food Preparation - General Share and learn about raw food prep, ingredients, recipes and tips.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Banned

Help me with Chia Seeds!

Hey everyone,

i tried to do a search for chia seeds and a million posts popped up, i have some specific questions about them, i have never tasted them but have a sample and want to use them. I've been reading about how great they are and am definitely interested.

The questions are: do you use them in smoothies (not interested in any other preparation), how do they taste, how do they affect the texture of the smoothies, how much do you use, do they make you feel bloated like flax seeds can do? Do the smoothies taste different with them?

thanks!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Chickadee

Gabriele, I have chia seeds every morning in my smoothie. I change the flavor around but here's a common one....almond milk, tbs. chia seeds, tbsp. sesame seeds, 2 tbs. psyllium husk, banana, vanilla, cinnamon...sometimes raw cacoa or and recently I've added agave powder because I bought some and wanna use it...that doesn't change the taste either...

The fruit may change to mango or berries or basically any fruit ...I don't taste the chia or the sesame seeds...I think the psyllium husk thickens it so much that I don't even notice the chia seeds doing much...but a tbsp. in 16 ounces of fluid isn't very much.

When I make the 'tapioca' pudding I don't taste the chia seeds either. I know 'they' say a nutty taste...not to me.

PE
Old 01-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Banned

Thanks PE for answering, i just made this: 4 clementines, one banana, ice cubes, Sun WArrior vanilla powder, some coconut milk and the chia seeds, YUMMMM, it is delicious. I can't taste the seeds either.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:48 PM
Hatchling

I put them in my green smoothies all the time. They do kind of alter the taste somewhat, but not bad. However, texture is definitely not a problem with a Vita Mix as they all are blended up especially if you put them into the blender first. I have not noticed any issues with them.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:26 AM
Banned

thanks! i ordered a pound of them. i only had a tablespoon as a sample, seemed to be a little nutty, not unpleasant.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Meadowlark

Unless you let them sit in the smoothie for a while, they won't affect the texture. The taste is pretty neutral as well. Also, the black and white chia seeds are pretty much the same thing

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General