Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'

Living 'In The Raw' The place to discuss All-Things-Raw! From transitioning to the Raw Food Diet, to equipment, special techniques and more.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Hatchling

Humidity and Health?

Hello boys and girls!

I've been on my raw food diet for 5 months. I decided to do a whole bunch of things at once; move out, start this diet, quit drinking coffee. My family (mom, dad and sister) all went raw a month before I did. This made it super easy for me to transition into my new exciting way of life.

After 5 months of raw food, I've yet to see ANY weight shed off of my body. I've actually gained weight, and have never felt this heavy in almost my entire life. I'm usually a quite small person -- actually, I used to be the skinny sister. Now our roles are most definitely reversed! My parents and sister have all lost so much weight. Dad lost about 40 pounds in 6 months, my mom about 30, and my sister at least 20. What I'm not understanding is how I'm not losing any kind of weight or feeling many of the benefits they've been getting ... or the entire raw community for that matter!

I thought of a reason today though. I moved out at the same time as starting this diet, and my bedroom is in the basement and I have no window. This means there is barely air circulation/ventilation coming through, as my door is pretty much always shut. I never thought about the health impacts of this. Does anyone here know anything about it? I've looked on the internet but nowhere does it say that weight gain is a side effect of having
moist/humid/ventilationless living quarters.

I'm dying here. I'm slowly reverting back to a cooked food diet since I'm NOT feeling the great benefits of this diet. The only reason I've stuck to it is because I KNOW it should be good for me, and I want to stay connected to nature in this wonderful way. Would anyone have any other ideas as to why this wouldn't be working out for me?

Raw-rrr!

Lydia
Old 02-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Meadowlark

2 Things, 1 a question and 1 a comment, off the top of my head:

1. Everybody that is all raw is not experiencing every benefit promised to you when going raw, and others have not lost weight or gained weight. That is not to say that you are not more mineralized, your cholesterol and blood pressure aren't better, or that your immune system isn't stronger, etc. But it does mean that the raw food diet is NOT a "one size fits all" approach, which has often been the message. Of course, that message is likely a bit inflated because of the drastic improvements people DO make, by and large, but you are not alone in this. So please do not give up.

2. The first question that came to mind: Are you eating the exact same raw diet that your family members are? You indicated you moved out. A giant low-fat, high-fiber salad for dinner is different than raw pizza with raw cheesecake at mealtime (for most. As I said in my other post to new raw foodists, GOD BLESS those who can get away with that, although a high fat diet is still not healthy on the liver, etc., raw or not raw).

I don't think lack of ventilation is an issue, but if the place has mold, that is entirely different. Even still, an all organic raw diet is your best bet, and mold would cause a host of other symptoms, one of them likely not being weight gain from fruits and vegetables, though.

I know you're discouraged, and I'm one of the believers that 80/20, low-fat (or along those lines, meaning some cooked whole low-fat, high-fiber vegan foods) is healthier than SOME of the raw diets being promoted, so simply look at it as reaching your health goals, period. You will get there.

I guess I have a 3rd question....

You were always the "skinny" one; was everybody else overweight and were you a healthy weight, and did they lose weight while you gained?

This is a great topic, sure to be beneficial to many......
Old 02-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Hatchling

what lies beneath........

Interesting and cool that your family have all gotten on the raw wagon! I could never imagine my father on a raw food diet...but that's my dad Have you been having a good proportion of iodine-rich foods e.g. sea vegetables, kelp etc and getting plenty of minerals?
I remember when a friend of mine went raw and he seemed to be constantly eating, like everytime i turned around he was munching on nuts and stuff? I'm a fan of good fats and protein, so liver support is essential- maybe you could try making st mary's thistle milk drinks like the one Carmella posted on her website??? Interesting and fascinating how we're all so beautifully unique! Also, as an after thought, is there any emotional 'baggage' that you may be hanging on to for protection that is weighing you down? I'm not trying to pry but our emotions work so intricately with our physiology that it can't be over looked. Unresolved issues around food, weight etc can drag us down...i've been working extensively with flower essence therapy to help me rid myself of body image issues and obsessive thought processes that have been circling around my energy field for years.......slowly but surely, i'm become freer
Old 02-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Hatchling

I know that emotional "baggage" can for sure increase stress levels and stop someone from losing weight (even leading to additional weight). I made sure to look over some of the things in my life to see if they were an issue, but really, I feel I'm the happiest I've been in years! No reason for stress at all. So this shouldn't be an issue whatsoever.

The room I'm staying in could be moist and result in mold of some kind; we haven't inspected it yet. I've started sleeping with my door open to try to let more air come through.

My main concern is that I'm eating all of this healthy food, balancing my meals very well (I go to the folks' house for some good gourmet meals once in a while, but mostly eat salads at home), even including kelp noodles which are my best friends ... yet I still gain weight. I've even considered the fact that this could be my "healthy" weight -- but that just doesn't feel right at all. I listen to my body, and I know there's something it's crying out for. And on top of that, I'm only 22! Should be easy for me to shed some weight. Sigh!

Lydia
Old 02-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Meadowlark

Exercise is huge, as is eating the right foods for endocrine health; if your hormones are messed up, it will really halt weight loss no matter WHAT you do, PERIOD. And yes, I just observed on The Biggest Loser the other night like 3x that those not losing what they should start losing it after emotional breakthroughs. Very interesting stuff! Likewise, some all-raw people, the "dry drunk" or "dry SAD-dieter", type like I referred to in my Advice For Newcomers To Raw Foods, Forums, Etc. thread, are emotionally ill still.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Swallow

re: endocrines

yes, Erica is right, see my post in the weight loss thread........hormones are tough to contend with, on the whole.........which leads me to wonder.......and I hope I'm not being too personal here????.........is there any way that you could be pregnant possibly???

I got pregnant at about your age, and I did not even know for several months....sounds ridiculous, I know.....but.......it was such an easy, easy, pregnancy and labor, and birth; my son is STILL that way, so very easy going as a rule.........so anyway, it is possible, especially when one is thin, to have erratic cycles to the point where one wouldn't necessarily know right away, when something changes........except for the clue of large weight gain.........anyway, I hope I'm not being too personal, (and if I am, please forgive me), but when I first read your post, it reminded me........
Old 02-05-2010, 02:17 AM
Meadowlark

I actually think that's a good observation, Mona.

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'