Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Raw Freedom Kids - A Holistic Approach To Parenting > Natural Pregnancy, Birthing & Parenting > Natural Pregnancy, Birth & Parenting Resources

Old 02-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Hatchling

Raw pregnancy - Help please!!!???

Ladies, how do you do it???

I'm nearly 8 weeks pregnant and goodness, have I fallen off the raw wagon! I've gone off many foods that I know are good for me. Cannot stand raw vegetables, I've gone off my dried fruit, nuts and seeds, even a raw chocolate smoothie doesn't appeal, and the thought of a green smoothie, I just cannot entertain! Only raw things I can really tolerate and taste a little are a tangy green juice, oranges, lemons and sharp, crunchy apples. And traditional Kenyan cooked food - mostly veg, but they are sooooo cooked, I suspect highly all nutrients are gone.

Before I got pregnant I did a juice cleanse for 10 days and was at least 70-90% raw after the cleanse. Now, I'm like 10% raw, if even that. How do you get past food cravings and aversions to maintain a mid to high raw diet? I really hope this is just a phase that will pass...
Old 02-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

I hope this helps you some: Joz

This is the time in a woman's pregnancy when she needs to eat less rather than more. This period is neccessary to improve blood quality and remove any lymphatic blockages that could make affect the health of the groeing fetus. The fetus is still so tiny that increasing food intake would not only be unnecessary, but in fact lead to digestive problems. To prevent any potential danger for the baby and to clean out the digestive tract, the stomach tries to reject food, especially during the morning period of Kapha time, when congestion can occur most easily. Drinking mint tea and taking fresh ginger juice or ginger extract with water and a samll amount of lemon juice helps to minimize the nausea and make it easier. This period doesn't last more than 4-6 weeks.

A high protein diet during pregnancy can lead to major blood circulation problems and preterm labor. The fetus doesn't require protein concentrated foods to grow, not during and after it is born (hence the tiny fraction of protein in breast milk). A menstruating woman eliminates excessive proteins via the blood, but this option is not available to her once pregnant. Hence, the excessive protein acumulates in the basal membranes of the blood vessel walls (see Timeless Secrets about details), and clogs up the lymphatic vessels. This can cause not only preterm contractions, but eventually also menstrual contractions or cramps when not pregnant.

It is a great blessing to bring through the new children. You agreed to it a long time ago, hence the pregnancy.

The main thing is to keep the bowel functions regular. Pregant women can do enemams, colemas and colonics. The colon has a direct influence on your reproductive system, the blood. lymph and the baby. Liver flushing can be done, but may be more uncomfortable. Eating food with high fluid content or moisture is good. Dry foods such potatoes, pastas, beans, bread, pop corn, etc. would lead to constipation. Fats are required for both the baby and yourself during this time. Except fruit, all carbohydrates such as vegetables and grains should have fat's or oils on them (expeller-pressed and unrefined). An intestinal cleanser such as oxyflush or colosan (capsules)would be good if constipation is an issue. Eating the main meal of the day at midday is very important to help avoid constipation.

The blood is always getting cleaner when doing liver, kidney and colon cleanses. The kidney cleanse is a good blood cleanser in itself. So, this benefits the baby also. It also helps with fluid retention.

The product Immuno Start, made of glyco-nutrients (sugars that heal) would be beneficial (www.mannapages.com/andreasmoritz). I spent some good amount of time researching the M****tech products and saw some amazing benefits.

Make sure to sleep before 10 pm to have the optimal amounts of melatonin in your blood stream (melatonin is secreted from 9:30 pm and peaks at around midnight provided you sleep before 10 pm.), important for both the baby and you. Lack of melatonin or irregular secretions increase breast cancer by 50 times and cause numerous other disorders.

Andreas Moritz Naturopath

Last edited by wyjoz : 02-28-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Hatchling

Thanks Joz!

Fascinating info there! I guess I'll stick with what I can tolerate at the moment, though the point made about eating less definitely makes sense, as I'm eating far less than I normally would.

Not sure I'm comfortable with any kind of active cleansing when pregnant, but I take on board the fact constipation needs to be dealt with.

I've always loved ginger, and all my juices used to have ginger in them, but now, I just don't want any ginger! I can't get enough of sour, sharp fruit though - lemons are such a refreshing thought, I think I'll make some lemonade.

I've definitely gone off my proteins - nuts, seeds and even meat just don't appeal! Not too worried though, as i normally eat enough (can easily devour a whole jar of almond butter in 2-3 days usually!).

Definitely good info, thanks for sharing.

Jacquie
Old 02-28-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquie View Post
Thanks Joz!

but I take on board the fact constipation needs to be dealt with.

Jacquie
You are welcome: Andreas has so much great information he's a 'genius' !

To deal with constipation, regular meal and sleeping times are required, eating the main meal at midday, eating foods that are high in water content versus those are dry (like potatoes), drinking enough water, adding more oils and fats to the food, eating more foods with sour and salty taste (see Vata food lists in The Key to Health and Rejuvenation).

And last not least, you may need to deal with the emotional causes of constipation (you may benefit from the book Freedom from Judgment, 1stbooks.com, and perhaps, Sacred Santemnony (see my website www.ener-chi.com). Constipation is never a purely physical disorder. It results when there are things in life we are not "digesting" properly, so we hold on to them. We do this on the physical level as well, and formost in the colon.

Are you adding enough fats to your diet. Constipation, being a Vata condition, reqires lubrication with oils and fluids. Sour foods and salt are essential for relieving Vata problems, too. If you miss out on any of htese or have too little of them, constipation is likely to result in this body type. Avoid potatoes and pastas, and most other drying and dehydrating foods, beverages. Sleeping early and rising early also assists the bowel. Having your warm water and lemon and honey water first thing in the morning. You are also currently reliving your past, the time when you were constipated in your twenties. A lot of emotional things happened at that time, which are now resurfacing in your body to become completeed and released. As it often is the case, when one does that, the old symptoms return to help you get in touch with the cellular memories of that time in your life. Colosan can support this process and help complete it.

Andreas

Last edited by wyjoz : 02-28-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquie View Post
Not sure I'm comfortable with any kind of active cleansing when pregnant,
Jacquie
I'm not pushing this....but if you have the problem ....some things you might consider. Andreas has practice for 30 yrs.....so I would trust him....but again.... your best options are...read all you can...make a decision....consult your doctor..........

I know a lot of pregnant women who have had colonics, colemas and taken colosan. Colonics used to be given to many pregnant in hospitals until the late 1920s, early 1930s. Doctors used to know why a clean colon is so important for the mothers and their babies.

Many pregant women suffer from constipation, which is a major reason for discomfort during pregnancy and complications before and during delivery. Andreas
Old 02-28-2010, 11:35 PM
Meadowlark

Pregnancy, just like when nursing post-pregnancy, is NOT the time to cleanse. Especially because there are so many herbs you must look out for. Eat raw and whole food vegan. Get some books by Rip Esselystyn, Fuhrman, Barnard, McDougall.....find tasty foods that appeal to you. Veg sushi? Whole grain pasta? Falafel? Raw desserts? Mineralization and building a healthy flora in your body are key. Take a really good multi or multi in the form of a shake, like Garden Of Life's new Raw Meal line, and put vanilla creme stevia or frozen banana (if need be) in it. Hemp protein, etc. Worry more about eating whole, healthy foods and not about raw percentages right now. That is my best advice. Some superfood smoothies, etc.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:34 AM
Chickadee

I understand you not being able to eat raw veggies...it made me feel sick just to think about when I was early pregnant. I also loved anything cool and crisp. One thing was yogurt, and now you can either buy coconut yogurt or make your own...young coconut meat blended with a tiny bit of the water and some fresh squeezed lemon juice...Delish! You can then slowly add some fruit or nuts on top...a banana and some almonds or some chia and some goji....
I think the lemonade idea is awesome, maybe some fresh OJ too
Just remember not to be to hard on yourself, and if you start to incorporate raw back in slowly, that's OK.
I like the idea about not needing to eat to much so early anyway...that's why foods seem kinda yucky right now...
Old 10-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Hatchling

DHA is essential for pregnancy and breast-feeding

Hey, just saw this post, even though it was awhile ago (and you may have already had your baby!) you'll probably want to ingest a good source of DHA (a certain long chain essential fatty acid). The company Premier Research Labs makes a good product, and it can be taken the entire time of breast-feeding. It is also recommended to take it for up to a year before conception, through the pregnancy, and 1 year post pregnancy during the breast-feeding time. It seems like a lot but you only need 1 cap per day, maybe even only every other day. Also the same company (Premier Research Labs) makes a high quality Vitamin D supplement, which is essential for recent mothers because the baby gets most of their Vitamin D from the mom through the breast milk. So the mom can get deficient if her Vitamin D levels are low. Good to supplement with the D3 serum (its inexpensive). Most websites that sell products by PRL give free shipping for orders over $50. The other recommendation (which some pple may not like because it is not raw nor vegan) is Premier Research Labs cod liver oil. It has adequate amounts of Vitamin A which are essential for the mother and the growing child (through the breast milk). And finally... detoxified iodine (known as atomidine) from cayceconcepts.com is essential for both mom and child, and also for growing toddler and young child. Small amounts obviously, the recommendation for the iodine is to start with 1 drop for day one, 2 drops day 2, up to day 5. Break for two days, start again on day one of the second week. Do this for four weeks and you are ready to start at five drops on day one. Most pple cap out between 8-10 drops, it depends on your body frame and inherent energy levels.

Those few supplements can make a large difference in the happiness of mother and child!
Old 10-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Hatchling

Premier Research Labs

here is one source of products by Premier Research Labs: http://www.google.com/search?client=...utf-8&oe=utf-8

and no, I have zero affiliation with any of these products. I just know that sometimes good information is hard to come by, and I've already done some research on healthy pregnancy and healthy babies. The other recommendation/advice is that babies can safely be raised on only breast milk up to 18 months. The trick when weaning off milk is to only do one or the other -- breast milk or real food (real food being organic avocados *because conventional avocados are irradiated and as lifeless as anything zapped by your average microwave oven), real food being lightly cooked celery, real food being high quality organic bananas, real food being great coconut oil. those food items are fantastic for young children. so are baked apples, organic of course)

the reason you only do either breast milk OR real food, is that breast milk is very long in it's digestion. so if it is mixed with other foods then it impairs digestion, much like eating steak and potatoes together -- the transit time is slowed and basically the food rots in the intestines instead of being absorbed. you obviously don't want your baby to go through all that. so, the decision to stop breast feeding means you are going to stop at once and not go back. i'm pretty sure that is the summary, check around online to make sure. and best of luck with your newborn!!!

Raw Freedom Community > Raw Freedom Kids - A Holistic Approach To Parenting > Natural Pregnancy, Birthing & Parenting > Natural Pregnancy, Birth & Parenting Resources