Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Health & Nutrition > Health General

Old 07-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Swallow

What's my ideal weight?

I've noticed that many people have a goal weight, or an ideal weight, or know how much they want to lose. I know how much I used to weigh (84 when I started keeping records, 81 when I started raw) and how much I weigh now (59), but how do I figure out how much I should weigh? I'm 1.51 m, which is off the low end of the chart, so I'm not sure just computing from my height would be accurate.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:13 PM
Swallow

Most go by the BMI charts I think, but for me it's' what I feel fits with my body. Everyone is different. It's what you feel comfortable at as long as it's a healthy weight.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:53 AM
Chickadee

I chose my target weight based off of BMI. Now, I have always been overweight for pretty much most of my life, so I have never been at my target BMI weight even at times I was in my best health. So I always figured I was one of those people who's body frame did not mesh with the BMI weight. Well, now I am challenging myself to actually see how scrawny I wind up being to get to my BMI weight. I'm not worried about it being unhealthy at all. I don't think I will do my body a disservice by being "skinny". I just want to see what I look like at my BMI ideal weight of 190 pounds. By the way, that 190 pounds is at the upper end of my ideal BMI weight range, so technically I could go even lower.

Sorry about the long explanation. I guess in short, BMI was how I chose it. It is based on your height and sex.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:13 AM
Hatchling

I am 6'2" with a "medium" to "large" frame. Based on which chart I look at, my "ideal" weight should be anywhere from 165 to 190 pounds. Thanks to raw, I am now within that range.

But what is my ideal weight? The truth is...I really don't care anymore.

The way I see it, if I continue on a raw diet, and remain active, my body will eventually settle on a weight, and everything will be fine and dandy. I am not concerned about a number...I am simply concerned with providing myself with the world's best nutrition (along with good exercise), and then letting my body sort out the details.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:31 AM
Meadowlark

I myself am also going by BMI and for the first time in years (thanks to raw) I am in my range 127-153. I am hoping to get near the bottom of my range. But I am just going to keep eating raw and exercise and see where my body ends up. Really that is the nice thing. YOu don't have to worry about it when you eat raw.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:40 AM
Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I've noticed that many people have a goal weight, or an ideal weight, or know how much they want to lose. I know how much I used to weigh (84 when I started keeping records, 81 when I started raw) and how much I weigh now (59), but how do I figure out how much I should weigh? I'm 1.51 m, which is off the low end of the chart, so I'm not sure just computing from my height would be accurate.
According to the BMI tables, yours is 25.9 based on the details you put in your post (at 59 Kilos). The ideal BMI is 18.5-24.9 so that would put you 44-55.8 kilos.

I am also within my 'ideal' of 100-127...but I would prefer to be at the lower end of that target thanks!! I'd like to drop another 10 if possible...but i do not seem to be doing that...mind you I'm not very active these days...I need to keep up with my running and yoga and pilates...

Last edited by Damzlfly : 07-22-2007 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Swallow

I've always been in my BMI range fortunately, but what I'm aiming for is how I feel at a certain weight. I still don't feel like I'm at a weight where I feel I can do some of the things I want to do. When I'm there, that's when I'll say 'xx' or 'xxx' is my ideal weight.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Mute Swan

Hmmm, don't even know my BMI, I think I did once calculate it but disregarded it because just like every other "calculator" for what our weight should be I don't fit. I am usually considered underweight which I think is a bunch of bahooyah as I have felt and been quite healthy all of my life, (relatively speaking, now that I know about RAW!!).

Yup, mine is 16.8.
>18.5 is underweight, so yeah, I think they are inaccurate, they can't account for body FRAME, like andypdx (did I get that right?) said, he has a bigger frame, I have a very small one. I know 12 year old girls who have bigger hands than me and my feet are size 5-6, I am 5'7". Actually, you know how it is recomended that children under 12 sit in the back seats of cars to avoid the air bag? That has me totally worried!!

Sorry for the big blab, I would trust how you feel, not general "calculations" or measurements.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Swallow

I know what my range of weights has been and want to (roughly) get back to the weight I was at 19. I also used the BMI calculator to get a range..(mostly to defend myself against the idea that my goal weight would make me too thin..LOL )

here is a calculator with metric...

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmi-m.htm
Old 07-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Swallow

Yea, BMI charts IMO arent accurate becaus ethey don't take into account body frame OR muscles. I know when I was in gymnastics my BMI was "overweight" yet I was very thin, just solid muscle. I'm in my BMI "range". Actually, I think the "ranges" are kind of rediculous because mine I saw once was 112-145 or something like that. That's a HUGE difference. I look and feel my best at the lower end of the range.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Swallow

How do I measure my frame?

Before I got the scale, I remember being weighed twice: once I was 36 (when they started teaching metric in schools, which would be 1976) and later I was 54 kg (I don't remember when).

I don't feel that different at 59 kg than I did at 84, except for being cleaner inside. I did, and still do, dart across the street and ride my bike. I still have some fat below my belly button and in a few other places. I felt quite different at the end of my candida treatment (my belly hung in a narrow udder-like shape), even if I weighed then what I do now (I don't remember what I weighed).
Old 07-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
How do I measure my frame?

Before I got the scale, I remember being weighed twice: once I was 36 (when they started teaching metric in schools, which would be 1976) and later I was 54 kg (I don't remember when).

I don't feel that different at 59 kg than I did at 84, except for being cleaner inside. I did, and still do, dart across the street and ride my bike. I still have some fat below my belly button and in a few other places. I felt quite different at the end of my candida treatment (my belly hung in a narrow udder-like shape), even if I weighed then what I do now (I don't remember what I weighed).
Here is a page that describes one method of measuring frame size, and how this measurement relates to your "ideal" weight. Again, I wouldn't take the recommendations here as gospel, but it's at least something to give you an idea from.

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/met.htm
Old 07-23-2007, 07:25 AM
Swallow

Wow, so many ways of figuring ideal weight!

I find it strange that the Met Life tables want height with shoes on. It only makes sense that you should measure your height with bare feet and your weight naked. (I usually have a hairtoy, but it doesn't weigh much.)

I think I'll give up having an ideal weight and just let my body lead. I just finished a detox and am probably going to lose some more shortly.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:52 AM
Swallow

Pierre -- I don't know about weight, but to me, you look 10-15 years younger than you are. Now that's something I want to strive for.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Chickadee

I go by whether I "feel" like my joints are carrying excess weight, and whether my body mass impedes my ability to participate in activities I enjoy.

For instance, you're just not going to be able to do a good yoga prayer twist with a big ol' belly rubbing against your thigh, lol. I noticed mine was getting in the way a little, and that my back felt out of sorts and decided it was time to blast off a few pounds.

I thnk the lump test is a good measure. Can you wear something which is tailored to skim the body without any big potato-sack lumps showing? If so, and if you feel strong and light, you're probably doing something right!

These days I feel lighter, and as though I can do most of what I like to do with ease. I would like to lose about 10 more pounds, so that running will be easier on my knees.

Functional goals like that make weight reduction feel more natural, and SANE.

Hope you're all feeling frisky, lean and clean too!

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Health & Nutrition > Health General