Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Health & Nutrition

Old 12-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulia View Post

Yes, coffee does cause stress hormones to be released as well as slowly exhausting your adrenal glands (which especially bad for menopausal women since adrenals become a primary source of estrogen, progesterone and some other hormones after our ovaries are out).
I did not drink coffee for a long time. But I have started again about three or so days ago due to its tremendous help in halting my sweet craves. I am currently battling with vaginal yeast and sweets is the last thing I should be eating at the moment.
Yulia: read the great posts here on Candida .... and this also is a fat/animal proteins issue! ha ! as Fruits do not cause Candida/yeast infections provided they are eaten whole...not canned/frozen (no skins) bottled juices cooked/stewed...... the Fructose has a antidote it's FIBER ! must eat the fruit whole (skin, seeds, pulp) and tree ripened !

Joz
Old 12-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Chickadee

Just something else to throw at you Yulia --this I have not researched, but just thought of you when I read it...Robt Young (of pH Miracle fame --so you probably won't believe it, because you don't subscribe to the acid/alkaline thing, LOL) says that you may crave sweets if you're low on natural salts.

Also, just saying you ate alkaline for three mos....well, it's not totally convincing to others, because, maybe? you did bad things - even though you were doing alkaline things. and some feel that your weight will normalize if you eat alkaline properly---well, judging from your pics - maybe? you do need to gain 15 lbs! LOL

Mary Kay

Last edited by marykays1 : 12-07-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyjoz View Post
Yulia: read the great posts here on Candida .... and this also is a fat/animal proteins issue! ha ! as Fruits do not cause Candida/yeast infections provided they are eaten whole...not canned/frozen (no skins) bottled juices cooked/stewed...... the Fructose has a antidote it's FIBER ! must eat the fruit whole (skin, seeds, pulp) and tree ripened !

Joz
Joz, I saw a dead cat on the street today, she must have eaten some animal protein...it seems like you blame it for everything. this is getting REALLY pathetic. As I said I do not like any cults and you seem to be one.

For your information, fruit do cause candida, even if eaten (taken as a smoothie) on empty stomach. This is EXACTLY what caused the candida outbreak I'm currently battling. About two weeks ago I started making myself a smoothie first thing in the morning (folowed by 3-4 hour fast). I would put fruit (banana or apple), kale, berries (wild blueberries and blackberries), chia seeds, milk thistle seed, a bit of cinnamon and sometimes (but not always) a slice of astragalus root. no other changes to the diet. within a week I developed a severe candida outbreak. fruit is good for us, but people with candida issue do need to be careful with it (despite of Dr. Christopher's thinking otherwise)
Old 12-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by marykays1 View Post
Just something else to throw at you Yulia --this I have not researched, but just thought of you when I read it...Robt Young (of pH Miracle fame --so you probably won't believe it, because you don't subscribe to the acid/alkaline thing, LOL) says that you may crave sweets if you're low on natural salts.

Also, just saying you ate alkaline for three mos....well, it's not totally convincing to others, because, maybe? you did bad things - even though you were doing alkaline things. and some feel that your weight will normalize if you eat alkaline properly---well, judging from your pics - maybe? you do need to gain 15 lbs! LOL

Mary Kay
on the pictures (most of them at least, exept for those where the kids were babies) I was 15 lighter. and no, I did not do bad things, I ate a very pure diet of raw veggies, greens, fermented things (home made fermented cabage, carrots), lots of green juicing while I cut out meats and cut down wild alaskan salmon and free range eggs to 1/4 of my normal animal protein intake. I was also eating a lot of seaweed. but I an a very much animal protein body type and such diet completely depleted my body to the point when I spend the following two months obsessing over food, craving sweets, etc. which actually started a candida problem for me. Also I was doing my best combining my foods "properly" while doing the diet.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Hatchling

by the way, I found that a proper combining does not work for my body either. I feel hungry within 1 hour after "properly combined" meal. It ends up eating the entire day, getting bloated in the end, etc. Everybody is very different, everyone's nutritional body type is very unique.

An ideal breakfast for me, for example, is totally "unproperly" combined combination of those "poisones" animal proteins (shrimp, salmon and eggs or meat--and I mean real meat, not bacon--with eggs with a green salad or veggies. when I eat that I leave the table satisfied, feel great and energetic throughout the day and almost never have sweet/carbs cravings.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Hatchling

Joz,

and another thing about being a good clinician (and this is the role you seem to be taking on yourself on this forum) is to LISTEN to your patients (or whoever your are about to give an advice). You do EXACTLY the oposite and that is exactly the quality that separates a nutritionist/or alternative health practitioner from a cultist (cultists do not want to be "confused by facts"). If someone tells you that grains (even the best ones) and legumes are consistently on their "tired foods" list, you do NOT continue to hummer the "animal proteins are bad for you" theory. You LISTEN to it, and think to yourself: "So, if they can't do grains and legumes" that what is there left for them as a source of protein? And the answer is: "Exept for nuts and seeds (that can not be the only source of protein anyway (for more than one reason, them being not a complete protein is one of them), even IF a person isn't allergic to any of them (which is a big "if"), there is nothing really left for that person as far as a good protein source. Not to mention that that same person tells you that just cutting down her animal protein intake to 1/4 for three months made her body and her cravings go insane (something that obviously depleted her body severely). So that's where a good clinician would back off from her "animal proteins cause everything from chicken pox to sex addiction" drill and look into other aspects in person's diet, lifestyle, environment, etc that need to be adressed. Sometimes it can be a clock on person's wall (and yes, it is a true story, it was a patient of one of my teachers) that makes too much noise and the person does not realize that her body is failing to have a good quality sleep due to that. As a result sleep deprivation that sets the whole thing our of whack. So instead of pushing her agenda, a good clinician would try to find that small thing (whether it is a clock or a vitamin/mineral deficiency or a food allergy, which is by the way a VERY common source of problem for many people) and address that. Once the clock issue was addressed by the way and the person was advised to go to bed soon after the sun goes down to provide her body with most optimal sleep, most of her complaints went away.

Last edited by yulia : 12-08-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Chickadee

Yulia,

SOME/MOST? people would say that combining meat/fish - heavy protein with greens IS proper combining - like you do for breakfast. I kind of think it is. My idea of improper, would be to throw in some some toast - carbs with the protein. Do you do that as well?

Then again, about the only person I've heard that believes combining an alkaline green salad with meat is improper, is Aajonus Vonderplanitz, but no doubt, there are others I just don't know about!

I never believed in the whole food combining thing, even though I knew about it since approx 1987 - until the last couple years. I began to believe in it after I did a raw-juice fast and resumed eating, and saw how much more difficult it was, how much more work it took - for my body to process carbs with protein , things considered improper etc.

Now I do believe in the food combining thing, and I TRY to do this with my family. I kind of think that for special occasions - think holidays, potlucks etc, that our bodies can digest a whole mishmash of things, but that it does take more work. And by doing it on a daily basis, you're making your body work too hard on just digestion, thereby leaving less energy for other things.

My thoughts anyway.

Mary Kay
Old 12-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Chickadee

Oh, oh, oh, (raising hand here!) --still trying to talk you out of doing coffee, Yulia --- is how addictive it is!

And then, you never answered me about the salt thing. Just curious, do you think there could be some relevance to it? (That possibly you crave sugar because you're low on salt) This was pretty new to me.

Mary Kay
Old 12-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Yulia,

SOME/MOST? people would say that combining meat/fish - heavy protein with greens IS proper combining - like you do for breakfast.
yes, it is. but that was not the point. the point is that my body requires combining multiple proteins which is a big no-no according to many people. Eating just one kind of meat or just fish or just eggs, or just shrimp with veggies or green salad leaves me feeling not satisfied and looking for a snack every hour or so. For example, this morning I ended up combining three proteins (left overs of salmon, beaf and eggs) with veggies and green salad. It's after 2:00 pm and only now I started feeling hungry.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
My idea of improper, would be to throw in some some toast - carbs with the protein. Do you do that as well?
I try not to combine carbs with animal proteins and am constantly battling with my husband because he usually does want carbs with proteins. It is his body though and therefore, his choice but with the kids I try not to do that if they don't specifically ask for that. as for myself, i do not really eat grains, starches (like potatos), so I don't have to worry about it. The only exeption though is my home made so called meatloaf which is basically 1:1 of ground meat and ground veggies (zucchini, brocolli, green beans, garlic) and a couple of tablespoons of gluten free oatmeal (to keep it all together). sometimes I also add an egg to it and sometimes I do not (depending on how "watery" the ground veggies end up to be).
Old 12-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Oh, oh, oh, (raising hand here!) --still trying to talk you out of doing coffee, Yulia --- is how addictive it is!

And then, you never answered me about the salt thing. Just curious, do you think there could be some relevance to it? (That possibly you crave sugar because you're low on salt) This was pretty new to me.

Mary Kay
I was raised on the idea that salt is a "white death" and therefore, one should eat as little of it as possible. However, when I started researching the subject a few years ago I realized just how important a good quality salt is for our body. Now I eat plenty of good quality raw Himalayan salt (which is pink with lots of minerals/trace minerals in it). Whenever appropriate I try to add it after the meal is cooked (even though minerals aren't really affected by high temperatures, but still). I also add plenty of kelp into my salads.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
I know. The only thing is that I am doing an intuitive eating for my up-comming school program and my body "screams" coffee/decaf at me. I have to trust it and see where it goes. After a while I do feel the difference when my body wants something as a craving and when it wants something to get nourished (addressing whatever issue it is trying to address). I feel that at that moment of my life it wants coffee/decaf for a reason other than craving. But I am trying to stay tuned with my body, so if I see/feel something I do not like coffee will be the first to go. Also I feel that I am pretty good at dropping habbits that I feel aren't good for me, so I think I will be able to cut coffee/decaf out of my diet when I decide to do so. I was the only person I know who quit smocking from the first try (when I was around 22), I had no problem stopping drinking coffee a few years ago (just like that cold turkey, when I found out that it is less than optimal drink for me). I guit gluten and dairy (even though these two were a huge part of my life up until recently) in one day cold turkey and never looked back. I also always was a chocolate addict (my husband would call me a chocolatoholic), but when I started suspecting that I might be sensitive to it (often foods that we would defend with our life are the very foods we are allergic to and for me that most important food was any forms of cocoa--the darker the better--i could eat just 100% raw unsweatened cocoa nibs)...so I quit eating cocoa cold turkey. by the way, later I realized that I had a severe magnesium deficiency (and my body was just trying to address this through demanding a Mg rich cocoa).

But all that said, thanks so much Mary Kay, I do very much appreciate that you care!!

Last edited by yulia : 12-08-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Hatchling

the way I'm trying to explain my body going crazy over coffee/decaf lately all of the sudden is because caffee is an herb and like many other medicinal herbs it does have side affects and yet there can be an appropriate time for medicinal herbs (regardless of the possible side-effects). Especially when it is short term.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Hatchling

I remember our teacher told us on a few ocasions that if he has a patient with type II diabetes or insulin resistanse who drinks 6 cups of coffee a day, eliminating coffee would not be his first priority (because his body is just trying to heal the way it can, in this case, through coffee). He said he would first do other things to address the root of the problem which would slowly bring the body's need for coffee down anyway.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:55 AM
Hatchling

Hi,,,
First of all thanks a lot to all of you people for sharing plenty of information on the coffee and its effect on Insulin level.I have read in the research that Higher habitual coffee consumption was associated with higher insulin sensitivity (1) and a lower risk for type 2 diabetes (26) in diverse populations.

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Health & Nutrition