Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General

Raw Food Preparation - General Share and learn about raw food prep, ingredients, recipes and tips.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:42 AM
Hatchling

Best Nut Milk Bags ?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could share their opinion (and why's) of what they feel the absolute best Nut Milk Bags are from their experience ?

And then can I get them locally ? (live in San Francisco), or would best bet be online ? In either case, where ?

Thanks in advance -
Old 03-15-2011, 07:15 AM
Meadowlark

I like to just use the 1-gallon paint strainer bags. They cost $1 at Lowe's or Home Depot.

And I've been doing that for YEARS, even teaching classes with them. They work like a charm. I've had the $12 ones break, so I can't be bothered with paying for shipping and paying so much!
Old 03-15-2011, 07:24 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva View Post
I like to just use the 1-gallon paint strainer bags. They cost $1 at Lowe's or Home Depot.

And I've been doing that for YEARS, even teaching classes with them. They work like a charm. I've had the $12 ones break, so I can't be bothered with paying for shipping and paying so much!
Thanks for your reply Eva. LOL, thats awesome, and right up my alley, as I'm in "Home Desperate" almost every day. (doing a remodel that seems to be lasting for WAY too long)

But do you feel the milk comes out the same as it would using conventional Nut Milk Bags ? As in, does the paint strainer bags have the same size mesh/holes as nut milk bags ? Or are they larger, smaller ? etc...
Old 03-15-2011, 08:02 AM
Meadowlark

Almost identical! Can you believe it?! lol! I started teaching (much smaller scale than now!) raw classes in '07 and didn't start using the paint bags until 2009. I started buying them in bulk for giveaways at the classes when I taught nut milk classes.

It's totally ridiculous. I would never bother with paying more again. Same size. Same material. Same feel.

Crazy, right?!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Almost identical! Can you believe it?! lol! I started teaching (much smaller scale than now!) raw classes in '07 and didn't start using the paint bags until 2009. I started buying them in bulk for giveaways at the classes when I taught nut milk classes.

It's totally ridiculous. I would never bother with paying more again. Same size. Same material. Same feel.

Crazy, right?!
Sweet !

Totally crazy. I guess that also answers my next question as far as, the material. I was thinking one may be (the official nut milk bags) more geared towards "food safe" material ? But if you say they really are guaranteed the same material...........then, yea, this is great news.

Not to question you, as I am sure you are light years ahead of me in this subject. Just a question of concern is all, but, did you make sure to triple research where the manufacturers of them particular paint strainer bags are getting the material and what exact material it is they are using for them vs the manufacturers materials and source of the best Nut Milk Bags ?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Meadowlark

No, no, I definitely did not "triple research" anything. They are made of mesh nylon ~ whether it is the paint bags or the nut milk bags. I don't know which manufacturers created the nylon. I just know I've had official nut milk bags break on me and recommended the paint bags to maybe 100? 150? clients since then and have had nothing but positive comments from others who have used them instead of special ordering nut milk bags.

But if you are worried, of course do the research for yourself.

Then report back!
Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
No, no, I definitely did not "triple research" anything. They are made of mesh nylon ~ whether it is the paint bags or the nut milk bags. I don't know which manufacturers created the nylon. I just know I've had official nut milk bags break on me and recommended the paint bags to maybe 100? 150? clients since then and have had nothing but positive comments from others who have used them instead of special ordering nut milk bags.

But if you are worried, of course do the research for yourself.

Then report back!
Good enough for me !! lol

I will go grab some today - and if I can/get the urge, I'll do a bit of poking around on both manufactures and report back my findings.

Thanks so much for your valuable (and of course awesome) info !!
Old 03-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Meadowlark

Looking forward to hearing from you!!

And I do want to say... some of the nut milk bags out there are good... but when you pay for shipping + $12 on a nylon mesh bag, then it breaks... you feel a bit jaded and are happy to find the other sources! I almost feel like cheating with the others! lol!
Old 03-24-2011, 02:04 AM
Hatchling

So Eva, I got a few of them Paint Strainer Bags at Home Depot. They do work GREAT !! I just wanted to report that to you. They are real strong, and big enough for me to do the job with ease. Really great. So thanks again for such wonderful advice. And jesus, they were cheap ! Comes in packages of 2 as well !

Now I haven't went out to get a "normal" milk bag yet to compare and do the manufacture research on materials used. But I will and I will report back to let you know my findings.

I tell you this now though, the ones I got (sold by Home Depot) are made by "WorkForce". I did feel the bags had a slight chemical oder to them when I unpackaged them. So I washed, rinsed and dried them with Dr. Bronners repeatably until it was gone. But this smell is pretty common amongst Nylon. As we know issues with plastic and BPA, etc.. my whole concern therefore arrises around this. Is all Nylon food grade (food friendly) ? Or do they make a Food Grade nylon (and if they do, I doubt these paint strainer bags would be made from it) ? Does nylon have a chemical that slightly leaks into things we use with it ? Do we need to stay away from it ? Does it have its own version of BPA ? Who knows yet ?

BUT, I will do research to see if "normal" nut milk bags have a certain stringent process they use to make a more food friendly/food grade Nylon.

For this reason, it just seems like Nut Milk bags would be made from some organic cloth type of stuff.. Actually HEMP !!! That would be cool. Hemp is strong as hell and obviously food grade. I know there is Cheese Cloth, but that stuff is weak and breaks easily. Also it seems to have coarser holes.

I say we make a very fine mesh Nut Milk Bag out of hemp... We'd be rich. We' be "milking" the industry of its money !! LOL -- Pun intended.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 AM
White Bird

Thumbs up

MM,
Here is a link to a website that sells nut milk bags that are tried and true.
http://www.vt-fiddle.com/rawfood/nut...uting_bags.php
Old 03-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by misotrue View Post
MM,
Wow !! They stole my idea !! lol --

Thanks Misotrue for chiming in. I'm going to buy one of their hemp bags and one of their normal bags (to see what they're made out of) and try 'em both out, compare strengths, material differences etc... Your link was very helpful.

Then of course I will compare all three (the paint strainer bags as well). Cause one thing to remember, these paint strainer bags are dirt cheap ! So if there really is no food contamination harm from them (doing research now about that) then they are the cheapest by far.

Again, thanks for the solid info and link !!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Meadowlark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mucusless View Post
So Eva, I got a few of them Paint Strainer Bags at Home Depot. They do work GREAT !! I just wanted to report that to you. They are real strong, and big enough for me to do the job with ease. Really great. So thanks again for such wonderful advice. And jesus, they were cheap ! Comes in packages of 2 as well !

Now I haven't went out to get a "normal" milk bag yet to compare and do the manufacture research on materials used. But I will and I will report back to let you know my findings.

I tell you this now though, the ones I got (sold by Home Depot) are made by "WorkForce". I did feel the bags had a slight chemical oder to them when I unpackaged them. So I washed, rinsed and dried them with Dr. Bronners repeatably until it was gone. But this smell is pretty common amongst Nylon. As we know issues with plastic and BPA, etc.. my whole concern therefore arrises around this. Is all Nylon food grade (food friendly) ? Or do they make a Food Grade nylon (and if they do, I doubt these paint strainer bags would be made from it) ? Does nylon have a chemical that slightly leaks into things we use with it ? Do we need to stay away from it ? Does it have its own version of BPA ? Who knows yet ?

BUT, I will do research to see if "normal" nut milk bags have a certain stringent process they use to make a more food friendly/food grade Nylon.

For this reason, it just seems like Nut Milk bags would be made from some organic cloth type of stuff.. Actually HEMP !!! That would be cool. Hemp is strong as hell and obviously food grade. I know there is Cheese Cloth, but that stuff is weak and breaks easily. Also it seems to have coarser holes.

I say we make a very fine mesh Nut Milk Bag out of hemp... We'd be rich. We' be "milking" the industry of its money !! LOL -- Pun intended.
I haven't smelled any chemical odors from the ones I've bought, but I'd TOTALLY love to know anything you find out! You are so thorough! Thank goodness for forums like there where you can share with lots of folks and save us some time!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misotrue View Post
MM,
I have heard positive things about these AND the woman who runs the site (she teaches raw food classes)... just throwing that out there!

Quote:

Thanks Misotrue for chiming in. I'm going to buy one of their hemp bags and one of their normal bags (to see what they're made out of) and try 'em both out, compare strengths, material differences etc... Your link was very helpful.

Then of course I will compare all three (the paint strainer bags as well). Cause one thing to remember, these paint strainer bags are dirt cheap ! So if there really is no food contamination harm from them (doing research now about that) then they are the cheapest by far.

Awesome. Please don't forget to come back and tell us what you find out!!
Old 09-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Hatchling

Quote:

Did you ever do that research? I would be curious to know what your findings were. Thanks
Old 10-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by adialfonso View Post
Did you ever do that research? I would be curious to know what your findings were. Thanks
Yea, I did, and, unfortunately I did not come up with any solid answers, hence the long wait before I updated my findings here. I tried and tried, but every time I tried to contact "Workforce" or "Home Depot" or any and all sister/parent cooperations and manufactures I came up with on my research, they all ignored me or I hit brick walls or the best was employees/secretaries that were friendly, but just didn't know.

I came to the conclusion that since them bags I was researching (Home Depot Paint Straining Bags) was originally made for and intended in the construction fields and made from Nylon, I figured it was just safest to stay away from them. As you would be surprised how much petroleum/oil/toxins/etc.. is used in EVERY product, and especially in ones not needing to be "food safe". I think that is a obvious conclusion personally, but just my opinion.

I ended up going with 100% Hemp made Nut Milk Bags (found here: http://www.vt-fiddle.com/shop/index....=index&cPath=3 ). Yes they are more money, BUT I am rest assured they are food safe and no lost sleep over that. Plus they are VERY strong, so they last forever, and when I was buying the paint strainer nylon ones, I broke 2 of them. I have yet to break a Hemp one.

Hope this helps -

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General