Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Health & Nutrition > Health General

Old 07-27-2007, 10:43 PM
Mute Swan

Oil pulling...

Is something I have just looked into and started yesterday. Anyone have more experience with this or info to share?
I find it is not bad and if it has any benefits I am all for it The only thing is it says you should just do this for 10-20 mins first thing in the AM and nothing else, but as any Mom of young children will tell you -this is just not possible!!! So I am doing it but not exclusively every morning
Old 07-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Hatchling

Hi there. I have been experimenting with oil pulling for the past couple of days. If you go to http://www.oilpulling.com you can get more info. They only talk about using sesame and sunflower oil. I ran out of sesame so I started using coconut. I have heard of others getting results from coconut oil. Also they suggest you only op while sitting down. But hey who has that kind of time twice a day (lol ). I do it while doing other things so I would say you could tend to the kids, clean, etc. as long as you were aware not to swallow the oil by accident. I do not follow the "rules" religiously and do what I can to work within my life. Although I do it on an empty stomach.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Chickadee

I did this for a bit, but between that and skin brushing and everything else...magnesium water...lemon water...green smoothie...the mornings were taking on a life of their own, lol!

I've lapsed but liked how it felt when I was doing it/ I felt like I got alot of nasal drainage cleared up, and my teeth felt nice. My heels might have been softer...but I wasn't sure. Many people report that theirs are miraculously smoothed by it.

Unfortunately I did not experience any major detoxing with OP-ing....but I may not have had much left to detox...others seemed really happy with it.

I would do it after skin brushing, and after brushing and flossing my teeth, while taking a shower and/or checking morning emails.

I like the sesame oil best....it's traditionally used as a puriier...more so than the other types of oils mentioned....esp. in ayurveda, so I was a fan of that. I defintely noticed I felt better when OP-ing with raw sesame...actually the lag in benefits seemed to coincide with getting a cold pressed sesame which I do not believe was truly raw, as I could taste a cooked-type aftertaste in it.

Best of luck with this. I'm glad to see a thread for it here, as you raw-bees are the undisputed detox gurus!
Old 07-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Chickadee

my biggest enemy to op-ing is keeping my mouth shut for 15 - 20 min.
it did make my skin very velvety smooth and my heels (hooves) got alot better. teeth felt great.
not so much detox.

favorite oil mix:
coconut/safflower w/ a couple drops peppermint oil.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Chickadee

Thumbs up Oil Pulling Rawks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdrop View Post
my biggest enemy to op-ing is keeping my mouth shut for 15 - 20 min.
ahem..... .... no comment....

heheeeeee!!! I LOOVEz YA SNOW!!!

okay - the first time I ever op'd... the brown stains on my teeth disappeared! now - I had smoked for over 39 years and I thought the stains would never leave - so I was quite happy ... shocked ... but very HAPPY!!

the other blessings I am experiencing are softer elbows, my heels are beginning to soften, and my face is looking softer, my skin seems more supple.

and my teeth feel really REALLY CLEAN!
yea - I'd do some of that research mentioned on the other post. It's interesting reading!

I use coconut oil - it's rather tasty - and it's supposed to really make your teeth white.

I bless Alba everyday for introducing this oil pulling to the RFT crowd! I highly recommend it!!

If you don't take care of your body ... where will you live?
Old 08-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Hatchling

Oil pulling rocks

Hi
I've been oil pulling for a couple months now, every morning. The most noticable change for the better is in my mouth...gums are firmer and healthier, teeth are whiter. Skin is also softer, and initially I noticed I slept better as well. Now that I'm doing so much that is good for me, I no longer know what to attribute each benefit to! What a great 'dilema', heh. My partner and I both notice all these things, as well as improved eyesight, but that one is so out there that we can hardly believe it yet
Old 08-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Meadowlark

Oil pulling does Rawk! I am transforming my hippies teeth. Before and after photos will be comming soon!! It is amazing.

Raw Love
Melissa
Old 08-09-2007, 09:21 AM
Meadowlark

Aren't you supposed to do this BEFORE you brush/floss?

Marcus just busted his broken tooth out MORE last night, eating. I can tell it's gonna be painful. I want him to do this for now --- he has to go to the free clinic or whatever for dental, soon enough. :-(

Anyways, doesn't this HELP teeth and teeth infections, etc? Anything helps, he even hates his teeth's color. But I know it helps more than teeth...
Old 08-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Meadowlark

It does!!!
David has horrible teeth and much pain most days. He has been OP for 3-4 weeks now and has no pain, swelling in the gums has disappeared and his teeth are so much whiter than they had been prior. Stained from smoking, coffee, etc. He was planning a trip to the dentist, I knew the dentist would tell him that he would loose some teeth, that is how bad it was. Today he is pain free and loving it. I will post photos of the transformation as soon as he lets me take a new photo, sometimes that alone can be like "pulling teeth" lol

I have been having him do the OP 2X a day. Once when waking for 20 minutes and again when he gets home from work for another 20.

I find that when Oil pulling it is best to keep busy, 20 minutes is a long time. Take a shower, water the garden, do laundry, make the beds etc... If I am busy I can do the whole 20 min. If not busy it is really hard for me.

It is also helping him with detox effects of ridding the caffiene from his body. No nasty headaches you get when you are off the coffee.

I highly recommend it to all!

Raw Love
Melissa
Old 08-10-2007, 07:42 AM
Finch

Question Great Idea!

I am so excited about this! I have never heard of it before. Thanks for posting Danny!

Melissa & everyone doing this -- what type & brand of oil do you use?
Old 08-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Meadowlark

RVM
We began using coconut oil, that I already had on hand. I bought the most inexpensive brand of cold-pressed Sesame oil at the WFS and have been using that for awhile, Sesame is recommended.
www.oilpulling.com for more information about it.
Raw Love
Melissa
Old 08-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Hatchling

I read about oil pulling a while back and heard lots of great testimonies. There certainly seems to be some great benefits from it. I think I might incorporate it into my routine. I wonder though, as I'm full of toxins right now and only at the start of an almighty detox, if oil pulling while I'm fasting would cause extreme detox symtoms. Thoughts?
Old 08-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Meadowlark

Eshne
Hi - OP seems to be fairly gentle. Are you Raw or just beginning the journey? I have not done any OPing while fasting, however I look foreward to it during my next fast, I think it would be very beneficial. You may try it for a few days or even a week to see what happens.

Good Luck
Raw Love
Melissa
Old 08-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Hatchling

Hi Melissa

I'm not raw yet, but planning to be and starting with a juice fast. I'm on day 4 at the moment. I think I'll try it for a week beginning with tomorrow, I have some coconut oil I can use.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Chickadee

Talking

I just came off of a fast and I op'ed with coconut oil - and I looved it! While fasting - my detox wasn't as strong as it has been b4 - initiallly I thought it was because of the op'ing... kinda helped pull toxins out in an easy and relaxed manner... but it could be the detox was less cuz I've been raw for almost 5 months. Not sure - but either way - it was a great addtion to the fast!!

If you don't take care of your body ... where will you live?

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Health & Nutrition > Health General