Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Appetizers, Side Dishes and Snacks

Old 07-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Sweet Potato Chips

When you get serious about health, chips are one of those things that just have to go. When you think of all the trans fats and additives that regular chips contain, your body will thank you for it! With the help of a dehydrator, you can transform a number of veggies into delicious raw chips: zucchini, butternut squash, sweet potato and even kale! You can also use good ol' potatoes, of course, although we've found that they seem to retain a certain 'starchiness' that we don't particularly care for.

Sweet Potato Chips

2 sweet potatoes, peeled
1 tbs olive oil
1 tsp salt
Seasonings of choice

Thinly slice the sweet potatoes with a mandoline or veggie peeler. Prepare a marinade with the rest of the ingredients and toss the potatoes in it.

Spread the slices on a teflex sheet and dehydrate until crisp. You may want to turn them over to help dehydration.

For BBQ Chips: Use Chili, cayenne, cumin, paprika, onion powder and a little honey.

For Cheezy Chips: Use 2 tbs nutritional yeast

Carmella's Notes:
- If you find that your chips don't turn out very crispy, try slicing them thinner or using less oil.

- You can dehydrate the chips directly on the mesh, but in my experience, it's a lot of work cleaning these up afterwards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SweetPotatoChipsW.jpg
Views:	1087
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	353  

Last edited by Carmella : 07-29-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Chickadee

these are my favorite chips!!!
i can't eat just one
Old 07-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Swallow

Gotta get a dehydrator! Wow...those sound so delicious. Chips are my all-time favorite snack food.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Swallow

I tried sweet potato chips when I got my D. a long time ago. They came out like little rocks lol. I don't think I cut them nearly thin enough.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Swallow

I'm about to layer these on my dehydrator trays...how long do you think it willl take them to get crisp like chips...they are pretty thin; it's almost 10:30 p.m. my time...think they'll be ready by 6 a.m. at 105 degrees?
Old 08-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Meadowlark

Talking

Oh yeah I make these too.
Same as Carmella's but I put some more stuff like:
I peel them really thin and then I soak them in either plain olive oil or garlic aged olive oil. then I sprinkled in sweet basil and oregano and thyme, and sea salt. Then I dry them. Wow just thinking about that makes me wanna go make some!
Old 08-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Finch

Talking In the D

Ok -- this is my first batch of cheesy sweet potato chips! They just got put in the D.... I can't wait!
Old 08-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Finch

Thumbs up So good!

These were so good! I love they they were orange --- like Cheetos...it made them seem even more cheezy to me! I had some of Snowdrop's ranch dip left over, and the two made a great combo!

Of course, the onion dip would have been fantastic with it, too!

If you haven't made these yet, try 'em tonite!
Old 09-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Meadowlark

Talking

I made a bunch of these today:

Take a sweet potato skin off the outside skin.
Then peel the whole tato till it's all peeled away.
Soak the peels in olive oil and oregano, thyme, basil and sea salt then stickem in thje dehydrator till their are chewy or crispy all depends on how you like em I like them both ways
Old 01-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Hatchling

hey guys

about how long do these have to sit in the dehydrator? I want to make these soon, but gotta make sure I'll be around to take them out when they're done in the D

thanks in advance
Old 01-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Chickadee

I tried some a while back but all I addes was a little salt. Wasn't too impressed, but now you've piqued my curiosity, so will try again!

Thanks!

Mary Kay
Old 01-24-2010, 09:10 PM
Nuthatch

I tried the peeling method but wow it was tedious and the slices come out all different sizes. Still the chips were super delicious, honestly I think I enjoyed them as much as SAD chips. But I want to make slicing them easier. I was thinking of getting a mandoline.

Can anyone recommend a good mandoline that can make paper-thin slices?

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2010, 05:59 AM
Hatchling

I have a Kyocera double edged mandolin slicer; the cutting blade is ceramic. I can cut incredibly thin slices with it, and also do it rapidly, since it cuts in both directions. It is light weight, and I keep it hanging on a hook on my wall. I got it on Amazon.

Eventually, I have my eye on a Borner V slicer plus, as it has a few hundred reviews (on Amazon) most very good. It is more of a multi function device, but also more expensive than the one I mentioned above. I've also seen demos of its use on YouTube. So, hopefully I'll have one in the future. Got to get a high speed blender first!
Old 01-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Meadowlark

Talking

hey Tweedle,
Depends on your dehydrator. But I'd put them in for 24 hours - Just check them to see if they are the way you want them - crunchy or chewy. It also depends on how thin you peel the potato. I usually use a peeler, not a knife. I haven't made these for awhile need to make some now!

marykays1
Quote:
I tried some a while back but all I addes was a little salt. Wasn't too impressed, but now you've piqued my curiosity, so will try again!
oh yeah try to soak them in olive oil then take them out and put them on a plate with sea salt and organic seasonings then put them in the dyer - they'll come out great!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATH301 View Post
hey Tweedle,
Depends on your dehydrator. But I'd put them in for 24 hours - Just check them to see if they are the way you want them - crunchy or chewy. It also depends on how thin you peel the potato. I usually use a peeler, not a knife. I haven't made these for awhile need to make some now!

marykays1

oh yeah try to soak them in olive oil then take them out and put them on a plate with sea salt and organic seasonings then put them in the dyer - they'll come out great!
thanks for the tips! I will definitely have to try these this week!

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Appetizers, Side Dishes and Snacks