Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Breads, Crackers and Wraps

Old 08-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Russell James' Nut-Free Bread

Woo-Hoo! Russell James (nicknamed 'The Bread Man' ) has done it again! After his now famous Almond bread, he is now sharing with us a nut-free bread recipe. Can't wait to try it! Sure looks great!

From Therawchefblog.com

My Mediterranean Almond Bread caused quite a stir when I posted it, getting me some very kind comments on various discussion boards. It’s so fantastic to know that something I’ve created has helped someone find a piece of the puzzle that they so needed to help them live a healthier life, in this case, an alternative to bread. That tactile feeling of holding something when eating (get your head out of the gutter!) is very important to me, as it is to a lot of people.

When I mentioned, what seems like ages ago, that I was developing a nut-free version of my bread I had quite a few emails asking me for the recipe. So here it is, and I have to say I’m very pleased with it and have been enjoying mushroom sandwiches for weeks now, they’re so great - once you have the bread made it’s so quick and easy to build a sarnie! Enjoy!

Nut-free bread

Makes 18 ’slices’

1/2c olive oil
1 c sun dried tomatoes
3c sprouted buckwheat (1 c dry & unsprouted)
1 c flax meal
3 c peeled courgette, roughly chopped
2c apple, cored and roughly chopped
3T lemon juice
2 avocados
1 large onion
c minced parsley

- Process the olive oil, sun dried toms, sprouted buckwheat, courgette, apple, lemon juice, avocados, onion and herbs until thoroughly mixed.

- Transfer to a large bowl and mix with the flax meal by hand. The reason you do this separately (not in the processor) is that you are likely to have too much mixture for the size if the processor at this point, and when you add the flax meal it will become quite heavy and sticky and overwork your machine.

- When mixed, process the whole batter in the machine again, but in small batches to achieve a light fluffy texture.

- Divide the mixture in half and place on Paraflexx sheets on dehydrator trays.

- Use a spatula to spread the mixture evenly to all 4 sides and corners of the Paraflexx sheet. If mixture is too sticky you can wet the spatula to make things easier. With a knife score the whole thing into 9 squares.

- Dehydrate for 2 hours and then remove the Paraflexx sheets by placing another dehydrator tray and mesh on top and invert so that your original sheet of bread is upside down. That will allow you to peel the Paralexx sheet off and continue to dehydrate the underside of the bread.

- Dehydrate for approx 8 hours more (do this overnight so you’re not tempted to eat it before it’s ready) or until bread feels light in your hand. If the pieces don’t fully come apart where you scored, use a knife to cut them.

Cashew Mayo

1c cashews
2T lemon juice
t salt
2T chopped onion
c water
t agave

- Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth.

For the mushrooms pictured…

- Cut portabello mushrooms into thick 1cm wide strips. Marinade them for a couple of hours or overnight in equal parts of tamari and olive oil.

- Arrange them on a dehydrator sheet and dehydrate overnight.

Did you like this recipe? Then why not subscribe to receive automatic updates or fill in your email address at the top of the page in the box provided. Your email will never be sold or given to a third party, guaranteed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	470_img_1872.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	378  Click image for larger version

Name:	470_img_1879.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	379  

Last edited by Carmella : 08-06-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Swallow

YAY! I'm trying to limit my nut intake and this is PERFECT!!! THanks Carmi!
Old 08-05-2007, 04:24 AM
Swallow

Okay Carmella, I am going to try this one as soon as I finish fasting. Question, have you ever made this and froze it? I don't like freezing anything for more than 1-2 weeks, really one. I was thinking of making this ahead and freezing it.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Hey Lavendarj,

Actually, I have my first batch in the D right now!

I have yet to taste it but it's looking very good. I always freeze our breads so I'm sure this one can be frozen no problem. To prevent frostbite, I put the bread 'slices' in 2 ziplock bags, one within the other. But if you're going to eat yours so quickly, I don't think this would be an issue.

When making this recipe, you'll need to soak 1 1/2 cups of buckwheat NOT 2 1/2!!! Russell made a typo as I ended up with 5 cups of buckwheat after soaking! Had to use my imagination to find ways to use the rest!

I also used sundried tomatoes not packed in oil so they needed soaking first. I guess water would have worked, but I soaked them in the oil called for in the recipe instead. Took a little longer to soften up but worked just fine.

Will be back to report on the taste later today...
Old 08-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Alright, so I'm officially back to report.

As I was mentioning in my previous post, I made this bread using sundried tomatoes soaked in the oil called for in the recipe. (Water would probably work too.) The batter was just the right consistency. I spread it with my hands which I find is the quickest method, dipping them in a bowl of water from time to time to help prevent the batter from sticking.

I scored the bread before putting it in the D and dehydrated at 115 for 2 or 3 hours. Then I flipped onto the mesh, turned the temp down to 110 or so, and left the bread overnite. Most of it was ready after a total of 15 hours. Some parts were thicker and still wet so I left them for an extra 4 hours. Reading his recipe again, I notice that his is ready in much less time... Must be that he dries it at a higher temp I guess.

The texture was the closest to 'real' bread in all of the bread recipes I've tried. Pliable and all! I think I might put a little less apple next time but otherwise the taste is really great and quite neutral. I'd also like to try it with different herbs/spices. Lots of potential here.

Man, that's it! I think I won't bother experimenting with sprouted grains anymore other than buckwheat! For me, it has it all; it's alkaline, just needs to be soaked overnite, and breaks down super easily in the food processor which isn't the case whenever I use sprouted kamut or rye. Plus I love the taste.

Highly recommended!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NutfreeBreadW.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	423  

Last edited by Carmella : 08-06-2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Quetzal

Hi Carmella,

This is a recipe I definitely plan to try. I too, am curious about freezing. Do you think it would hold up well to freezing?. Being the lone raw food enthusiast in the house, it seems the recipes are always more than I can eat up before they go bad. I hate to waste food. Especially when it is so tasty and healthy.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Hello there Peaches4Ever,

I think that the bread will be fine. In fact, I've got some in the freezer as I'm writing this! As I was telling Lavendar, as long as you double pack it in ziplock bags (I use a smaller, sandwich size, then a larger size), raw breads/crackers freeze really well.

You should see how packed our freezers are!!! (We got the regular one on top of the fridge then another smaller one.) Whenever I do some uncooking, I like to make lots; filling the D right up! I then freeze most of it: pizza crusts, breads, cookies, burgers, wraps... That allows for a lot of flexibility too. You can pretty much decide at the last minute what you'll be having that day. Raw fast food!
Old 08-08-2007, 02:50 AM
Hatchling

hmm

Yummy. Wondering, how much do you freeze of each bread? Then when you wanna how do you thaw it? You just pop it back in the dehy for an hour or so?
Old 08-08-2007, 10:17 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

I usually keep a ziploc bag's worth out and freeze the rest. To thaw it, just take out of the freezer and leave at room temp for a few minutes. That's it! I sometimes pop 'em in the D for 5 or 10 mins. if I feel like 'warm' bread.

Yet another beauty of making slices rather than loaves! Less dehydration time, less chances of fermentation, individual portions AND super fast thawing!
Old 08-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Chickadee

Carmella,
You mention that next time you would use less apple. How much would you say?..Thanks, I'm sprouting the Buckwheat right now to make this bread.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Hey Ocean,

I'd use one apple instead of 2. Let us know how it turns out!
Old 08-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Chickadee

Thanks! I will be making it Monday, & let you know how it turns out.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Chickadee

I used 1/2 apple, I liked the texture, but thought it had to much of a tomato taste. I wonder how it would be with like say sprouted wild rice and maybe honey and the Zuc etc... added instead of the tomato and the spices? I might try experimented with something along that line.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Totally! Go for it, Ocean! It's such a great basic recipe; I'm sure there's lots of room for exploration.

Last edited by Carmella : 07-16-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:52 AM
Swallow

I plan to make this one this weekend.... Can't wait.

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Breads, Crackers and Wraps